MBP graphic-cards

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Post Reply
JAMM
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:03 pm

MBP graphic-cards

Post by JAMM » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Looking for a 2015 or 2016 MBP and having some questions....

I read that ableton uses the MBP dedicated graphic-card and therefore more fannoise and higher temperatures
(which possible make the MBP run slower) Anyone having problems with this or is it no issue?

Also does Push2 uses the dedicated graphic card?

Also is anyone uses this (https://gfx.io) to force Ableton or Push 2 to use the integrated graphic card?

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm

JAMM wrote: I read that ableton uses the MBP dedicated graphic-card and therefore more fannoise and higher temperatures
(which possible make the MBP run slower) Anyone having problems with this or is it no issue?
There are no issues usually like what you describe, but there is a theory the extra graphics card make those models more vulnerable to wear and tear. If one does get a model with the extra it's probably a good idea to know why one needs it.
JAMM wrote: Also does Push2 uses the dedicated graphic card?
Much to my and other's chagrin the Push 2 uses the CPU for its graphics.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Tarekith
Posts: 17241
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Tarekith » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 pm

This has been changed in Live 10 fwiw, it will no longer force the graphics to use the dedicated card which can actually improve performance in some cases. People are reporting that launching certain plugs ins over-rides this though, and the dedicated graphics card will then take over.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 am

note also that if a MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU, OS X always uses it if you have external displays connected...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 pm

fishmonkey wrote:note also that if a MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU, OS X always uses it if you have external displays connected...
Not always true, especially not with gfxCardStatus. I just rebooted a 2009 MBP with this not running and the integrated graphics is used for an external 21.5" display, DisplayPort to VGA.

It's of course common enough to be aware of.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:note also that if a MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU, OS X always uses it if you have external displays connected...
Not always true, especially not with gfxCardStatus. I just rebooted a 2009 MBP with this not running and the integrated graphics is used for an external 23" display, DisplayPort to VGA.

It's of course common enough to be aware of.
well, it is true unless you delete a bunch of low-level graphics drivers from your system, which you would only do in exceptional circumstances...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:note also that if a MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU, OS X always uses it if you have external displays connected...
Not always true, especially not with gfxCardStatus. I just rebooted a 2009 MBP with this not running and the integrated graphics is used for an external 23" display, DisplayPort to VGA.

It's of course common enough to be aware of.
well, it is true unless you delete a bunch of low-level graphics drivers from your system, which you would only do in exceptional circumstances...
So you're saying my system is likely lying to me?:

Image

My discrete graphics card in this machine is the 9600M GT and as you can see this is not in use here for either of these displays.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am

Stromkraft wrote: So you're saying my system is likely lying to me?:

Image

My dedicated graphics card in this machine is the 9600M GT and as you can see this is not in use here for either of these displays.
no, you are lying to yourself!

that picture shows that your discrete GPU, the 9400M, is being used to drive both displays, as expected...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
no, you are lying to yourself!

that picture shows that your discrete GPU, the 9400M, is being used to drive both displays, as expected...
So you're suggesting my model has two "discrete GPUs", the "9400M" and the "9600M GT"? I'm not an expert on these two and while the former is not a CPU-integrated GPU as in later CPU models, like the i7, I still assumed that from a practical standpoint we could regard the "9400M" as being "integrated" as it's a motherboard GPU.

This is how Nvidia discerns these in the text about the 9600M GT:
"NVIDIA Hybrid SLI technology delivers multi-GPU benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU.

HybridPower technology allows you to unleash graphics performance when you need it, or instantly switch gears to a lower power mode from the motherboard GPU for longer battery life and quieter operation. This reduces system power consumption dramatically and extends battery life by up to 25% longer.
>>GeForce 9600M GT: features.

I'm honestly not sure what you're basing your view here on. Are you saying that motherboard GPUs are just as discrete, and as bad, as any second high-performance graphics cards that Nvidia themselves do not refer to with this term?
Make some music!

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm

fishmonkey wrote:note also that if a MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU, OS X always uses it if you have external displays connected...
Tarekith wrote:This has been changed in Live 10 fwiw, it will no longer force the graphics to use the dedicated card which can actually improve performance in some cases. People are reporting that launching certain plugs ins over-rides this though, and the dedicated graphics card will then take over.
Please explain how this is relevant? Does Live 10 change the fact the CPU, not the GPU, is where the Push 2 display process runs? If so, that's big news!
Make some music!

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:29 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:
no, you are lying to yourself!

that picture shows that your discrete GPU, the 9400M, is being used to drive both displays, as expected...
So you're suggesting my model has two "discrete GPUs", the "9400M" and the "9600M GT"? I'm not an expert on these two and while the former is not a CPU-integrated GPU as in later CPU models, like the i7, I still assumed that from a practical standpoint we could regard the "9400M" as being "integrated" as it's a motherboard GPU.

This is how Nvidia discerns these in the text about the 9600M GT:
"NVIDIA Hybrid SLI technology delivers multi-GPU benefits when an NVIDIA motherboard GPU is combined with an NVIDIA discrete GPU.

HybridPower technology allows you to unleash graphics performance when you need it, or instantly switch gears to a lower power mode from the motherboard GPU for longer battery life and quieter operation. This reduces system power consumption dramatically and extends battery life by up to 25% longer.
>>GeForce 9600M GT: features.

I'm honestly not sure what you're basing your view here on. Are you saying that motherboard GPUs are just as discrete, and as bad, as any second high-performance graphics cards that Nvidia themselves do not refer to with this term?
oops, my mistake. sorry about that.

i forgot that old MacBook Pros used a pair of nVidia GPUs, one shared memory and one discrete. this is different to newer machines, which have an integrated Intel GPU. i guess it is integrated GPU machines which always use the discrete GPU when external displays are connected...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

fishmonkey
Posts: 4071
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm

also, integrated GPUs have been the norm for several years now, i don't think anyone builds machines with a dual-GPU setup like your old MBP any more (with two discrete GPU chips).

so my statement about the discrete GPU being used with external displays is true for any MacBook Pro produced after 2009...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

nori.lam
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:53 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by nori.lam » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:02 pm

JAMM wrote:
Also is anyone uses this (https://gfx.io) to force Ableton or Push 2 to use the integrated graphic card?
I have a 2015 mbpr 15inch on El Cap and use this with both Live 9 and 10. Just make sure you have integrated graphics selected before starting Live.
Live 9.7
Push 2
OSX El Cap

bobbyduracel
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:07 pm
Location: Durango, CO
Contact:

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by bobbyduracel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:59 pm

I have the 2015 MBPro with 2gig AMD video card (and the built-in Intel Iris Pro). I run an external 34" ultra-wide monitor via HDMI at home. My laptop gets plugged into the thunderbolt 2 interface and a thunderbolt 2 dock (which the HDMI routes from). The system seems to be the best way to use a laptop as a desktop production environment, but my issues over the past year or so with Maschine and Traktor seemed to be linked to the screens on each of the controllers. I've since sold my Traktor controller and the old Maschine Studio is gone, swapped for the new MK3 controller.

Now Push 2 and MK3 are my only screens to process. I find that sometimes my CPU takes a massive hit when Maschine's screens are in "mixer" mode, meaning the audio levels are constantly bouncing/updating live on the screen.

I have less issues with Push 2, but I am now wondering - what exactly should I have configured to optimize my overall performance with Ableton 10 and Push 2 as we approach release day? When I saw the video for the live 10 enhancements in Push 2 I first thought "WOW, that's amazing!" and immediately thought "shit, my GPU/CPU are gonna be destroyed now."

Any help in understanding/configuring is greatly appreciated.

I also wonder, would swapping to a desktop (mac mini pro, should they release one) solve the GPU/CPU issues? Are they inherent to laptops?
#livefullycharged

omarabra
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:39 am

Re: MBP graphic-cards

Post by omarabra » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:08 pm

bobbyduracel wrote:I have the 2015 MBPro with 2gig AMD video card (and the built-in Intel Iris Pro).
sorry if its off-topic but, did you install the AMD card by yourself? I recently got a mid 2015 MBP and there was no option to customize it with a discrete GPU
I run an external 34" ultra-wide monitor via HDMI at home. My laptop gets plugged into the thunderbolt 2 interface and a thunderbolt 2 dock (which the HDMI routes from).
Any advantages of plugging the HDMI through Thunderbolt instead of the MBP's HDMI?
Live 9 Suite 9.7.3
Live 10 Trial
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Clarett 8Pre
Impulse 61

Post Reply