Push 2 | without computer

Discuss Push with other users.
Mark.Henry

Push 2 | without computer

Post by Mark.Henry » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:29 am

Hi,

I am very new to Ableton and Push 2, and very excited to get started. When i was looking into the Push 2, I was under the impression that I did not need to connect it to a computer. Upon further reading, it appears to use Push 2 I need to be always connected to a computer running the Live software.

I would be very happy if someone tells me otherwise. I was trying to figure out how to connect a headset directly to the Push 2 unit without a computer when I made this discovery.

Feel free to direct me otherwise if connecting an audio interface directly to the Push 2 is possible.

Thanks

Mark

miyaru

Re: Push 2 | without computer

Post by miyaru » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:51 am

No, Push and Push2 need to be connected to a Mac/PC. It is just a controller.....

It has not got the possebility to connect it to an audio interface too.......

It is dedicated to be the most wonderful control surface for Live!!! Proberly what they meant was you do not need to look at your computerscreen all the time, it can be done on the Push(2).

Don't be dissapointed, you have a powerfull combo at your fingertips to make all kinds of nice music!!!!

So connect your Push 2 to a Computer, as well as your audio interface and make music!!!!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

Mark.Henry

Post by Mark.Henry » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks much.

I am sure i am in for an amazing time with this combo. Just reseting my expectations. Thanks for the response.

Mark

Devo182

Post by Devo182 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:46 pm

miyaru wrote:No, Push and Push2 need to be connected to a Mac/PC. It is just a controller.....

It has not got the possebility to connect it to an audio interface too.......

It is dedicated to be the most wonderful control surface for Live!!! Proberly what they meant was you do not need to look at your computerscreen all the time, it can be done on the Push(2).

Don't be dissapointed, you have a powerfull combo at your fingertips to make all kinds of nice music!!!!

So connect your Push 2 to a Computer, as well as your audio interface and make music!!!!
Sorry, are you saying the Push 2 can or cannot be connected to an external audio interface? At the top you say it cannot, then the last line you say to connect it to audio interface. Thanks.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Push 2 must be connected to a computer, then computer can be connected to an audio interface.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Devo182

Post by Devo182 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Mark Williams wrote:Push 2 must be connected to a computer, then computer can be connected to an audio interface.
Would there be any purpose to such a setup? If the Push is already directly connected to the computer, can it still take advantage of the audio interface/use its drivers?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Devo182 wrote:
Mark Williams wrote:Push 2 must be connected to a computer, then computer can be connected to an audio interface.
Would there be any purpose to such a setup? If the Push is already directly connected to the computer, can it still take advantage of the audio interface/use its drivers?

To regurgitate everything above:

- Push 1/2 are just MIDI devices like a fancy MIDI keyboard
- They have no audio interface on-board
- They do not make any sound on their own
- They need a PC/Mac and Ableton Live to work
- They display information from Ableton Live on the Push and act as an interface for the software

They can work in plain MIDI mode but again, require the computer for this so in basic terms for Push to be useful you need a PC/Mac and the Live software.

Devo182

Post by Devo182 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:40 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Devo182 wrote:

To regurgitate everything above:

- Push 1/2 are just MIDI devices like a fancy MIDI keyboard
- They have no audio interface on-board
- They do not make any sound on their own
- They need a PC/Mac and Ableton Live to work
- They display information from Ableton Live on the Push and act as an interface for the software

They can work in plain MIDI mode but again, require the computer for this so in basic terms for Push to be useful you need a PC/Mac and the Live software.
I have perfectly understood all that since before I bought it. I've owned multiple devices before just like this. Not trying to be snippy, but I understand this. What I am curious is if such a setup adds any value: Push -> Computer -> External Audio Interface -> Speakers/Headphones

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:26 pm

Dedicated audio interface will normally help with keeping latency low, much lower than a builtin laptop/desktop soundcard, which are not optimised for audio production.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

dliess

Post by dliess » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:25 pm

You could plug it to a raspberrypi4 if you just want it to use as a midi controller:
https://youtu.be/8eUB4gU4wGw