New Here, Starting with Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
atalwar

New Here, Starting with Push 2

Post by atalwar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 am

Hi All,
I am new to push 2, It'll be arriving later today along with the suite.

I just wanted to know what are the limitation of Push 2. I don't mean that in bad way or anything , but rather workflow wise.
Like what all I'll still have to use computer keyboard and mouse/trackball for every time. (as opposed to one time setup).

I'd like to avoid using the computer keyboard and mouse/trackball as little as possible. As I will have a lot of external Hardware gear connected.

Thanks,
Amit
Korg Kronos 2, PA600, Novation Sl 49, Waldorf Pulse 2, Novation Circuit, Launchpad Pro, Akai EWI USB, Graphite 49,Nano key Studio, BeatStep Pro,Zoom MS-70CDR,MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, Many guitars, pedals and amps..

Tarekith

Re: New Here, Starting with Push 2

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 am

For me Push is great for starting my ideas, getting the basic sounds and grooves happening, rough mixing, etc. I still revert to the mouse for arranging and doing fills/transitions, as well as final mixing.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 am

While you wait have a look around at some instructional vids for Push.

Next, forget "limitations" and trying to find out what it can't do and focus on what it CAN. It offers a little bit of something different to each user but it is very rare to find a user who is disappointed by Push.

Personally, I have always accepted the mouse and keyboard as a requirement for using a DAW. I'm more understanding of technology while some are far better musicians than I could ever hope to be, want their DAW to behave more like an instrument.

Push is probably the best at keeping you "focused" while in the box and getting your ideas into something that can be molded. Devices like Maschine will offer the same kind of experience but as a user who owns both Maschine Studio + Push 2 I would sell my Maschine over Push any day. As Tarekith has said, at some point you will find you need to move from Push to the mouse/keyboard which should be expected because at some point if you make EVERYTHING possible from Push it would get far too complicated or be slower than just going for the mouse.

Just spend a good few days solid working with it and watching videos before trying to actually get too far into things. With both a new DAW and a new hardware controller there will be a lot of things to pick up and you will start to find your workflow.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 am

jestermgee wrote: Devices like Maschine will offer the same kind of experience but as a user who owns both Maschine Studio + Push 2 I would sell my Maschine over Push any day.
I resemble that statement :)

atalwar

Post by atalwar » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 am

-Thx Guys,
I was going for a MPC Live, But I much prefer the non linearity of Live's session view so decided for a PUSH 2 instead.
Don't do much midi these days and prefer working direct with audio/ recording and stuff.
I have gone through videos on Ableton as well youtube already. A lot of things are very similar to my launchpad pro, it's all the other things
and editing I got the Push for.
Korg Kronos 2, PA600, Novation Sl 49, Waldorf Pulse 2, Novation Circuit, Launchpad Pro, Akai EWI USB, Graphite 49,Nano key Studio, BeatStep Pro,Zoom MS-70CDR,MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, Many guitars, pedals and amps..