Push 2 + Controller - Independent track control

Discuss Push with other users.
spagbol

Push 2 + Controller - Independent track control

Post by spagbol » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:22 am

I have an APC40mkii plus Push 2, Im wondering if there is a way to control tracks separately? Im sure this has been answered elsewhere but i think that ws relevant to apc40mki
If its not possible with the Akai, is there a way around this with another type of controller, not that i really want to have to buy another controller at this point.
Thanks.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

S4racen

Re: Push 2 + Controller - Independent track control

Post by S4racen » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Can you be a little more specific around your request, what exactly do you want to control on separate tracks?

Cheers
D

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 pm

You control whatever Device is selected on both pieces of hardware. They'll always follow the highlighted device.

On the APC there is a function to 'lock' the APC to a device. This leaves the APC controlling the device too hit the Lock button at, even when that device is no longer highlighted.

Not sure if Push has a similar 'lock' shortcut. It does have a Lock option if you right click the device on screen.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I guess if i select a track lane in app, i don't want push to show the same select. Id rather that, for instance, the drums would stay selected on Push, whilst i can select different harmonies or melody tracks on mpc to mix and adjust.
Does that make sense?
Last edited by spagbol on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Yea, i kind of figured out the dev lock function on the app, but its a bit of a compromise/task. Not easy for live performance.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:46 pm

I guess im trying to figure out if its possible to control/adjust two tracks at the same time.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 pm

You can always only select one device at a time. And I wish Ableton would change that.

It'd be nice if they used the color method they use for session view controller highlighting but with arming and device selection (and finger points for multitouch).

But it's always only one at a time and you can only ever lock devices in order to keep them from following the selection function.

For me, the workaround is to have Maschine as a fully independent software/hardware scheme inside its own channel in Live. But that's a whole other can of worms.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

OK. Yea thats a shame that this isn't possible with an Akai app and Push 2. I can't justify, nor do i really want to have to, buy Maschine atm, or in the near or distant future.

I guess more pre planning is required on my part, but it certainly takes away some ability to improvise on the fly.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:54 pm

I'd suggest locking the APC to a max device that has multiple pages of mappable macros. This would be convenient since the APC can quickly navigate through 8 pages of macros. Also since the APC doesn't have a visual display, it having something consistently locked would make for quick decision making.

The Push can be used in ways where you might not necessarily be able to 'select' channels with the buttons since there are already always buttons on the APC which allow you to quickly select channels.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

OK , thanks, ill look into it.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Ehhhhh. I guess the max advice was not the greatest. I can find a lot of clever variations of 16 macro mappers. Honey mapper looks good as well but I do not know the limit of macros it can have.

Edit: nvm again. Just tried that device and it didn't do the trick. Might need to build a device I guess.

Amebastudio

Post by Amebastudio » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Been addressing this since Live 9 came out. Still nothing has changed... :/

Anyway locking devices and tracks can be done via Clyphx pro, go check that out.

The problem is when locking instruments on push for example.

Everytime there a track change via clyphx the focus on the push will follow, meaning you lose control of playing the instrument.

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 pm

OK, thanks. I will check that out as a possible advancement to the problem. Thanks.