New to ableton - trouble recording clips

Discuss Push with other users.
JuiceboxGorilla

New to ableton - trouble recording clips

Post by JuiceboxGorilla » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:22 pm

I ran through a bunch of tutorials, and can't find the specific problem I am having. I am sure it's super basic, especially given my knowledge at this point.

I can easily record drum beats on my push. The trouble I am having is when I go to add another track, say a bassline. I click add track, choose my sound, and after I load it, the window up top will show oscillators, envelopes, filters, etc. I mess with those to get a sound I like and then I go to record a loop. I do the same process I did with the drums to record something, but at this point when I push the buttons in the pads to play music while the record button is active, instead of the pads turning red and recording, they are green and they do not loop.

In ableton live I can see the midi for what I played, on the push tho, it doesn't play anything after I attempt to record. And when I play it back from ableton in session view, I don't hear what I played. It seems like I am missing something really simple here. Like the new track isn't looping or something.

I am 100% sure this is a simple thing, and I apologize for asking such a newbie question. I did research, I swear! Just seems my problem is SO simple that nobody is asking it, or I am asking it the wrong way and can't find the million times it's probably been answered. :-/

JuiceboxGorilla

Re: New to ableton - trouble recording clips

Post by JuiceboxGorilla » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 pm

So I was able to record. It looked like a loop in push, has the little indicator line looping under the instrument name. But it seems I am only playing it back in session view. I hear the audio play back once, and doesn't loop with the drums.

And when I go to layer it, I get an error saying "Press up arrow to edit playing clip" but when I push it nothing happens.

These tutorials make this seem so simple. I have no idea how I seem to be screwing up the most basic and simple things.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Make shure in Ableton software that the track is record enabled. You can see this on Push in session view that all lights under the track are red!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

JuiceboxGorilla

Post by JuiceboxGorilla » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 pm

thank you for the reply.

I see the clip is armed to record. So now I am trying to record and layer over the the clip, with the track armed, and when I click record no sounds come from the notes I play, but I get an error saying "Press up arrow to edit playing clip" - so I do that, and it still doesn't work.

Strange thing is I am able to record clips sometimes. Then once I start clicking around, something I am doing makes it impossible. I am not seeing any tutorial videos running into the same thing I am. It doesn't make sense to me

HartMusic

Post by HartMusic » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Did you ever figure this out? Just got a push 2 and am having the exact same problem. Every time I go to record a drum sequence the first pad I hit doesn't work and the "Press up arrow to edit playing clip" message comes up. Very frustrating.

When I turn my push on only arrows lit up are either the right and left or just the right. In the tutorials I watch people have the right and bottom arrows lit, does this have something to do with this? New to push but not to producing, this is so annoying haha

bleachhouse

Post by bleachhouse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:36 am

Did anyone figure this out? Getting really frustrated buy this. All the looping is set up properly but as soon as i record it says press up arrow to edit playing clip and has no playback and doesnt recordi in a loop on the push

Fluffy Marta

Post by Fluffy Marta » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:03 pm

I have the same issue. I can create my own drum rack. But when I want to record a melody to that it just doesn't play the sound. But when the record button is off I can play the melody and the sound is here. So what's the issue? Why is hte MIDI signal blocked whilst recording?

qub1t

Post by qub1t » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:05 pm

As a brand-new Push 2 user, I've run into this as well. I'm dismayed to see that after 2 years, nobody has offered a solution?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 pm

You expect answers but no one has given any details to go on! Therefore no one will waste time trying to troubleshoot for you.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P