I have a screw loose (A few, actually)

Discuss Push with other users.
stratblue

I have a screw loose (A few, actually)

Post by stratblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:45 pm

Lost some of the screws from the base of my original Push, does anyone know how to get more?

TIA, Nick.
Hackintosh Rackmount, 10.8.3, Live 9, Roland VG99, Push, genoQs Octopus, Linnstrument & Suzuki Hayabusa Z (0-60=2.5 secs) BMWr1200GSA, BMW M3 V8!

hoffman2k

Re: I have a screw loose (A few, actually)

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Same here. Though finding screws won't solve it.
They wouldn't fall out if there were still something to hold on to.
In my case, the screw holders just broke. Probably best to check that before sourcing new screws.
Akai... The company that needs to ship 3 MPC's before you get one that gets past its first initialization...
No wonder they weren't involved for Push 2.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Rather have lost some screws in a akai push1 then 30% CPU in the ableton push2 displayprocess.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:57 am

JAMM wrote:Rather have lost some screws in a akai push1 then 30% CPU in the ableton push2 displayprocess.
You could unscrew the display perhaps :wink:

stratblue

Post by stratblue » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:52 pm

For anyone with the same problem, the plastic bits that the screws go into are totally shattered, it's not like it's had a hard life either, just in a drawer with a decksaver on for the last few years. Went in brand new and came out like this. Anyway, I've found that the decksaver just fits on the underneath to replace the base and inclines the push a little too. If Ableton think I'm ever going to drop anymore cash their way, they are very much mistaken.
Hackintosh Rackmount, 10.8.3, Live 9, Roland VG99, Push, genoQs Octopus, Linnstrument & Suzuki Hayabusa Z (0-60=2.5 secs) BMWr1200GSA, BMW M3 V8!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm

stratblue wrote:For anyone with the same problem, the plastic bits that the screws go into are totally shattered, it's not like it's had a hard life either, just in a drawer with a decksaver on for the last few years. Went in brand new and came out like this. Anyway, I've found that the decksaver just fits on the underneath to replace the base and inclines the push a little too. If Ableton think I'm ever going to drop anymore cash their way, they are very much mistaken.
To be fair, its Akai that made it. Push 2 is actually very solid.
Avoid anything made by the Inmusic group. So thats Akai, Numark, (now) M-Audio, Alesis, new Denon stuff... Oh noes, they bought Rane too...
Sure, there are a few quality products out there.. But those are the exceptions.

I get that it makes sense to complain to Ableton because their name is on it. But back when Push 1 came out, Akai wasn't universally known to be shit yet.
I mean, I might get some hate PM's from the MPC crowd... But I'll just send them links to the various sites dedicated to modding an MPC so it isn't shit anymore.
If you ever have the chance to see Roger Linn speak, ask his opinion of Akai and specifically anything with pads on it. I'm being mild by comparison ;)
At least it didn't catch fire. I'm looking at you Alesis!

Post by 102455 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Alesis catch fire? What product was that?

I've had a Midiverb II and a Quadraverb for decades and they've been fine.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm

102455 wrote:Alesis catch fire? What product was that?

I've had a Midiverb II and a Quadraverb for decades and they've been fine.
M1 active monitors. One day I turned on the studio, blue sparks lit up the bassport coupled with loud booms. That fuzzy isolation stuff was smouldering. These days we just pop a fuse and replace it with an included spare.

There are indeed products that can survive for decades. I wouldn't equate a quadraverb with one of their current keyboards. Different times, different owners. Brandnames are just meaningless these days. Inmusic owns a dozen of them, Gibson is about to sell off a bunch of them shortly and Behringer has been buying brands like TC/Tannoy. Pioneer DJ is owned by the group that sells meat to KFC (amongst other things).

Just because a brand used to make good stuff, doesn't mean they still do so today. Nor that everything they make is crap. But Alesis keyboards are literally using Akai pads. Akai audio interfaces are using either Numark or Alesis parts. M-Audio kinda improved under Inmusic, but under Avid their stuff fell apart. Evolution controllers are still kicking ass like they did from day one.

Not all Push 1 controllers are falling apart. There must be different production runs. I'm one of the unlucky early birds and can not rule out that I didn't break those screwholes myself while cleaning the dirt that got in between the pads. But I do pin it on Akai for using the bare minimum of plastic for those screwholes to hold a freaking metal plate. They should know better... But the reality is, Akai is long dead and all that lives on is the name.