Is it possible to use more than one Push2 simultaneously?

Discuss Push with other users.
whiteballoonsin1978

Post by whiteballoonsin1978 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:04 pm

By that, I mean:

1) on a single running instance of Live 10, on a single machine
2) without any additional MIDI software running (in other words, plug and play)
3) with both Push devices having their full native Ableton functionality

Thanks! rs

McAnix

Re: Is it possible to use more than one Push2 simultaneously?

Post by McAnix » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:29 am

I don't have a concrete answer for you but I have seen guys using their old Pushs with their new Push2s just fine, I'm sure it will work just fine.

I am curious though, why do you want to use 2 Push2's ?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:11 pm

No, it will probably not work like you think. Live is intended to only work with one Push at a time, you will likely get conflicts or duplicate controls across the units if you use two of them on the same computer. You could put one of them in midi mode and make your own mappings however.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 am

I would go with Tarekith on this one but here is a video of someone using a Push1 and 2. Not sure but it looks like it's all on one computer, check 0:43.

I am just assuming of course.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:No, it will probably not work like you think. Live is intended to only work with one Push at a time, you will likely get conflicts or duplicate controls across the units if you use two of them on the same computer. You could put one of them in midi mode and make your own mappings however.
Ableton Forum Moderator

mxcreep

Post by mxcreep » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:09 am

Not sure if it can be done with one instance of Ableton Live but it's possible with multiple instances and use link.

I've tried running Ableton Live in VMWare Workstation next to the one I already had on my desktop. I could use Push on it using USB passthrough.
I was also able to route the audio from the virtual maschine into the original Live 10.
Using link you can sync both instances. I haven't done anything usefull with it though, just fiddled around curious if it would work.

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:24 pm

mxcreep wrote:I've tried running Ableton Live in VMWare Workstation next to the one I already had on my desktop. I could use Push on it using USB passthrough.
I was also able to route the audio from the virtual maschine into the original Live 10.
Interesting idea! LiveCeption!

Realised I didn't actually post the video of the guy using 2 pushes, here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDfWmwJ1OiY

As everyone said, it won't work as expected or to the OP's intent but it can work to a certain degree but it isn't practical.

Getting an APC40 or a launchpad and launch control combo would be way better.