One-handed drum rack mutes?

Discuss Push with other users.
jbone1313

One-handed drum rack mutes?

Post by jbone1313 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:20 pm

On my Elektron RYTM, there is a mute mode, and I can mute drum sounds by tapping on the pads.

Is there a similar mute-mode in Ableton with Push?

Or, do you always have to hold the mute button while pressing the drum rack pads you want to mute?

Thanks!

markwphoto

Re: One-handed drum rack mutes?

Post by markwphoto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am

I had to find the answer to this myself. The answer is Yes and No! No it will not let you Lock the Mute On and enable you to press the pads to mute but...You can open the drum rack group, Lock the mute on and the mute the tracks(pads) in the group.

So on Push 2 you would insert a drum rack. Double tap the button below the display to open the group on the drum track. This should expand the group so you see all the sample pads on the lower part of the Push 2 display. You can then hold the mute but to lock it on. Use the arrows to scroll to the right and stop when the kick drum track is on the bottom, far left position. Now you can just press any of the 8 listed tracks to mute the drum pad.

There are a few caveats with this: You can only see 8 drum tracks at a time. On your computer in Live it also expands the track group so you won't be able to see much of the other tracks because the group becomes wide. You're not able to quickly jump to other tracks until you close the group.

jbone1313

Re: One-handed drum rack mutes?

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for the reply; that is indeed what I thought at first. However, I bit the bullet and setup ClyphX Pro and Arsenal PS2. Now, in Push 2 user mode, I can do all these one handed mutes and a ton of other useful stuff.

It took me a few hours to get everything configured and to learn ClyphX and Arsenal, but it was totally worth it. Once you get the hang of it, it's super easy.