Empty clip slots lit up when track is manually record armed

Discuss Push with other users.
Matt_Quinn

Empty clip slots lit up when track is manually record armed

Post by Matt_Quinn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm

Really strange issue I noticed yesterday. Got a Push 2 last weekend, just learning my way around it. But last night, whenever I manually armed a track for recording via either the mouse or my APC40 mkII, most of Push's clip slots lit up, even though they are empty. Push is in Session mode, and this makes it basically unusable for recording clips as I have no idea which slots are open/empty. Is this normal behavior?

the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

herrreinholt

Re: Empty clip slots lit up when track is manually record armed

Post by herrreinholt » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:07 am

It´s normal beahviour, every red button on an armed track can be used to record to, unavailable slots have the colour your clip is set to, as seen on your picture.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:59 am

Yikes. Is there any way to disable this behavior? It is really distracting/confusing for me. Would far prefer that empty clip slots just stay unlit.

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 am

...that's only when you specifically record arm a track...when you just select the track with your push (the instrument on that track is still playable in that state!) you don't have that "red line" of clips...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:57 am

scheffkoch wrote:when you just select the track with your push (the instrument on that track is still playable in that state!) you don't have that "red line" of clips...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, and I'm not sure yet what's driving it. For instance, what you describe works fine for a drum rack. It also works reasonably well for playing my Moog LP. It doesn't work at all for playing my Virus TI for some reason. And I'll often record multiple clips at once on different tracks with the Virus , which can mean 3 or more fully lit up columns of clip slots when the tracks are armed. It's...aggressive.

It's just weird to me that when tracks are pseudo-armed via Push, the Session view shows empty clip slots as unlit, but when they are manually armed, they show as red. I truly do not get why this would be desired behavior, but Ableton has confirmed it is in fact working correctly. Will just have to learn to live with it.