Per-step automation in arrangement view with Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
Sampled

Per-step automation in arrangement view with Push 2

Post by Sampled » Thu May 03, 2018 7:51 pm

I can use my Push 2 to do per-step automation in session view but for some reason when i select a clip in arrangement view i cannot. Is this a "feature" or am i missing something out? its really annoying to drag the clips from my arrangement to session view and back just to do a small automation on one step.

Stromkraft

Re: Per-step automation in arrangement view with Push 2

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Sampled wrote:when i select a clip in arrangement view i cannot.
Please elaborate what you mean with "cannot". Did you (Arrangement) loop the length of the clip? THat's the easiest way to stay on it.
Make some music!

Sampled

Post by Sampled » Thu May 03, 2018 8:29 pm

When in session view i can press and hold a step and then turn a knob to see the tiny automation square show up next to that parameter, in arrangement view one of two things happen: either the device names and track names disappear (like when i press and hold a step in session view) but turning the knobs doesn't change its parameter, or (the one that happens the most) the step i hold starts to blink like usual but the device names and track names do not disappear and i can change the values of parameters but its not automating it, as if i wasn't holding the step down.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Sampled wrote:When in session view i can press and hold a step and then turn a knob to see the tiny automation square show up next to that parameter, in arrangement view one of two things happen: either the device names and track names disappear (like when i press and hold a step in session view) but turning the knobs doesn't change its parameter, or (the one that happens the most) the step i hold starts to blink like usual but the device names and track names do not disappear and i can change the values of parameters but its not automating it, as if i wasn't holding the step down.
I have the original Push and assuming you are using Live 10, I can only tell you that I can adjust automation in a clip in Arrangement no problem holding down notes and so on. Likely your issue is due to the specific parameters involved. Which are they?

Did you try to set the Arrangement loop to the length of the clip?
Make some music!

lsajk

Post by lsajk » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:02 am

Sampled wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 7:51 pm
I can use my Push 2 to do per-step automation in session view but for some reason when i select a clip in arrangement view i cannot. Is this a "feature" or am i missing something out? its really annoying to drag the clips from my arrangement to session view and back just to do a small automation on one step.
wondering if you ever found a solution for this? having the same problem today - step automation is working for me when in session view but not when in arrangement view. If I hold down a pad to try to bring up the automate dialog on the pushs screen, it just doesn't have any reaction. Correct device is selected and I've tried selecting all kinds of other stuff to troubleshoot nothing is getting me the same functionality as when working on session/clip view in the DAW.

madboy

Post by madboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:24 am

Can you do step automation in clips in Arrangement view, or do you have to drag the clip into session view do automation and then back into arrangement view?

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Anyone find a solution for this? Is per-step automation in arrangement view possible with Push 2?

It does not work over here.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:19 pm

jbone1313 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:54 pm
Is per-step automation in arrangement view possible with Push 2?
Nope.
Ableton Forum Moderator