Push 2 - Loop Length controls are very insensitive

Discuss Push with other users.
blof_eld

Push 2 - Loop Length controls are very insensitive

Post by blof_eld » Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm on Push 2. Does anyone else find that when in Loop Selector layout mode on a Drum Rack, the Loop Length controls are very insensitive?

When I watch tutorial videos on youtube, they seem to be able to press it quite lightly to register, but for me, it seems to take almost a full velocity press to make them register the loop length. I need to use two hands to make it register, because if I don't, it will miss presses.

I think I might have to contact Ableton support because my Push 2 seems a bit insensitive overall, noticeably less sensitive than my Push 1, even though all reviews seem to imply that Push 2 should be more sensitive than Push 1. I have tried adjusting the sensitivity in Setup on the Push 2 and haven't been able to find a good setting. On the Push 1 I used to set it just on the verge of the pads self-triggering, but Push 2, I'm not able set it sensitive enough to self-trigger.

Tarekith

Re: Push 2 - Loop Length controls are very insensitive

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 am

Coul be a faulty unit like you suggest. Probably good to contact support and see what they say about it: support@ableton.com
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 am

I have the same issue, although its both the 'Step sequencer controls' pads, and the 'loop length controls' pads

I don't think its hardware related because those same pads are then sensitive in 64 drum pads mode (as sensitive as the drum rack pads).

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

With L10, they've been tweaked to be a bit less sensitive to avoid accidentally changing your loop selection while playing drums.
Full velocity required sounds a lot though, it's definitely not how it behaves on my unit.
Ableton Forum Moderator

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Thu May 24, 2018 1:43 am

[jur] wrote:With L10, they've been tweaked to be a bit less sensitive to avoid accidentally changing your loop selection while playing drums.
Full velocity required sounds a lot though, it's definitely not how it behaves on my unit.
Far out, less sensitive? I've had this problem since Live 9.

I'm pretty sure it's both the 'Step sequencer controls' and the 'loop length controls' for me. I see people in videos using one hand to set four notes at once in the Step sequencer, but I can't really do that without being super careful and powerful with the press.

I also have the problem often where if I try to set two notes at once in the Step Sequencer, it will not turn on/off either of them. I know the press has been registered for both because they do light up white while I am pressing them, but the notes don't "lock" on or off when I stop pressing.

I'll take a quick video of it later on.

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am

blof_eld wrote:
[jur] wrote:With L10, they've been tweaked to be a bit less sensitive to avoid accidentally changing your loop selection while playing drums.
Far out, less sensitive? I've had this problem since Live 9.

I'm pretty sure it's both the 'Step sequencer controls' and the 'loop length controls' for me. I see people in videos using one hand to set four notes at once in the Step sequencer, but I can't really do that without being super careful and powerful with the press.

I also have the problem often where if I try to set two notes at once in the Step Sequencer, it will not turn on/off either of them. I know the press has been registered for both because they do light up white while I am pressing them, but the notes don't "lock" on or off when I stop pressing.

I'll take a quick video of it later on.
Exactly the same for me, everything you said. It makes me not want to use the step sequencer because I have to hit the pads so hard to register notes, and I have the same issue you mentioned with two notes at a time.

As I mentioned before, in 64 notes mode, the pads are sensitive again, so it doesn't sound like it's hardware related? Is that the same for you?

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Thu May 24, 2018 5:42 am

fewtureJ wrote:Exactly the same for me, everything you said. It makes me not want to use the step sequencer because I have to hit the pads so hard to register notes, and I have the same issue you mentioned with two notes at a time.

As I mentioned before, in 64 notes mode, the pads are sensitive again, so it doesn't sound like it's hardware related? Is that the same for you?
Similar, but... I'm not that happy with the sensitivity in 64 note mode, but it is still much better than the loop length, etc.

I did a post describing my sensitivity in 64 note mode before - viewtopic.php?p=1711892#p1711892

This problem has made me avoid the step sequencer as well.

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am

I didn't take a video but I had more of a play with it.

It seems to be that if I'm trying to activate two notes at once on the step sequencer, if I hold the two pads for over, say half a second, then they will light up white, but not toggle. If I tap them both quickly, then they do what they're supposed to do.

I feel like it's trying to go into that note edit mode (nudge/velocity/etc), but because the notes aren't there yet it just waits without bringing up that mode on the screen, then when you release there are no new notes.

This combined with the pads for the step sequencer being waaaay too insensitive, makes the experience very ordinary for step sequencing. It's difficult to hit both pads hard enough for them to register, but then you have to remember to not hold them too long. It would be best if it did create the notes, but brought up the nudge/velocity editing if you held it.

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

It seems to be most likely software? - but if thats the case it should be affecting a lot of people

I have contacted Ableton support about this issue.

The Step Sequencer issue is not ok, having to hit the pads hard for input, and then also needing to check that the note input was registered is not ok when producing or performing live.

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Sun May 27, 2018 11:39 pm

Please let us know what happens...

I need to register my Push, hopefully there's no issues because mine was secondhand, I have no idea where it was originally purchased from.

fewtureJ

Post by fewtureJ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:11 am

Sent you a PM about this

jeblo05

Post by jeblo05 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm

fewtureJ wrote:...I have contacted Ableton support about this issue.

The Step Sequencer issue is not ok, having to hit the pads hard for input, and then also needing to check that the note input was registered is not ok when producing or performing live.
Has this problem been solved? I'm experiencing similar problems, only in step sequencer modes, though...

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:51 am

I just ran into this issue today. It would be great to get this addressed. Maybe it could be configurable. My RSI fingers are taking a beating...

Glue_ch

Post by Glue_ch » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm

I just got a used push 2 and have the exact same issue. I sent Ableton a ticket for support.

steeeeeev

Post by steeeeeev » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:31 am

Bumping this.

The increased force needed to do anything in the Drum Rack Loop Selector mode is driving me mad. I thought I'd been going crazy - I've had my Push 2 for years now, and for the past year or so I've thought that I'd have to take it apart and give it a deep clean because the sensitivity seemingly had gotten a lot worse. Inputting a a drum break? My pointer finger hurts by the time I've programmed the kick. Holding down four pads to change velocities? Good luck. It was only the other day that I tried out the 64 pad mode, and realised - wait a second, why are these all triggering so much easier? I go to Setup, fiddle around with pad sensitivity settings. Loop selector mode, no difference. This is the only thread I've found about this on the whole internet. Surely more people than just us have noticed - and I hit the pads pretty damn hard, mind you.

Please clarify or fix this, Ableton - at the very least, give us a setting to be able to turn off different velocities per pad layout setting. It seems a little nonsensical to me that the pads would change force to actuate based upon the mode, independent of the Push settings, anyway.