would this piece of gear be redundant with a Push 2?

Discuss Push with other users.

jestermgee

Re: would this piece of gear be redundant with a Push 2?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Depends on how you like to work. My general rule of thumb is if you have to ask if something is useful to you, it's probably not.

I have an MCU along with Push 2 and find it invaluable for mixing (for me)

A fader can have much better resolution and control for automating things than an encoder and it is possible to ride it while watching meters or just listening blind and because of the physical feel, you know where your level is and what your travel is without looking. I use to own an Alphatrack years ago (same as the Faderport but had an LCD display) and it was great but I wanted more control back when I was doing vocal recordings so went to the BCF2000 then to a Mackie MCU.

However, it is certainly not needed. If you don't automate your channel volume much then it probably would just be a fancy motorised fader.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:36 am

Not redundant at all. That single fader can do wonders with minimal desk space lost. Can a mouse do the same thing? Yes. In live I use the push 2 mute and solo buttons to catch things during a mixdowns session but prefer the mouse to control track volume.

With this controller the most useful buttons are there such as mute and solo and transport. Having that fader helps when you need to jump to a track and drop the volume by -0.05 or something smaller. I don’t own one but with my experience on console 1 and just using a mouse for mixdowns i see how useful this is.

There’s tons of different workflows for mixdowns but this single fader can help with writing automation for a track or VCA groups.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm

thank you!

mackie

Post by mackie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:56 pm

Sebastian wrote:thank you!
Can you report back on how it works out? The older version of FPort had issues (with Live), so I use a combo of xtouchmini and launchcontrol xl. Not ideal, but gets the job done.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 am

Havent bought it. On hold till I "earn it" by working harder

kites

Post by kites » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 am

Hey did you pick up the Faderport eventually? Curious how people are getting along with it in Live 10, I have not heard good feedback as far compatibility so far - especially with Push.
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 pm

No didnt buy it

bobbyduracel

Post by bobbyduracel » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:53 pm

I also looked a variety of fader options. Ultimately, I use my Maschine Jam next to the Push 2 for fader duties. It's cheap, it works well with my Mk3 as a complement, and with the Push it serves me in many ways. The touch strips can be used to manipulate plugin parameters, as well as mixer parameters. I use the Jam (alongside Push) more than I use the Maschine MK3 or the Maschine software. Just a thought.
#livefullycharged