Push 2 doesn't play some major notes

Discuss Push with other users.
blaise420

Push 2 doesn't play some major notes

Post by blaise420 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi all.

Can someone inform me as to why there is no pad for some major notes? For example, I'm trying to play a sound that the on screen keyboard on serum shows as being A# but when I try to play the same note on my Push, theres no pad that corresponds with that note. Just the notes before it and after. I am brand new to the Push so I'm sorry if this is vague or ignorant.

ok, ok, I changed the note layout on the Push to Chromatic instead of in key, and now I can play that note.

Can anyone elaborate the difference of chromatic and in key and why in key couldn't play that note?

yur2die4

Re: Push 2 doesn't play some major notes

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Chromatic is all available notes.

A ‘key’ or ‘scale’ is picking out specific notes from the chromatic scale that sound a certain way together. When you play ‘in key’ you’re less likely to hit a note that sounds Off from the other notes being used if all notes in the composition are a similar key.

Scales are rooted based on key. You might bass a scale off of C, or A# etc as the root. You would choose a root and based on the ‘scale’ type you choose you get a particular pattern of notes available to you to compose with.

You can look in the manual for more details on the Key and Scale functions of Push. It has some flexibility when you get more accustomed to using it.

blaise420

Re: Push 2 doesn't play some major notes

Post by blaise420 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:04 pm

Thank you. After some time away, I think I've got it all understood now.