No parameter mapped (Max GainStereo)

Discuss Push with other users.
deadwing2

No parameter mapped (Max GainStereo)

Post by deadwing2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 am

I think is a noob question but can't figure it out...so I kindly ask to someone with more knowledge than me :-)

When Push 2 shows 'no parameter mapped' (for example on the Max GainStereo device)...how do I assign the only control that the device has (the Gain!) to one of the knobs?

I can only find a way using the User mode (obviously doesn't make sense) or for devices that have the X/Y pad to assign parameters...

If I enable in Ableton the MIDI map I can obviously see that the Gain knob of the device is assignable to a MIDI controller, but if I turn one of the knobs of the Push 2 is not assigned.

Probably I'm doing something wrong, should be easy enough I suppose...any help? :-)

S4racen

Re: No parameter mapped (Max GainStereo)

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 am

The device has no parameters that can be auto mapped, you would need to reprogram the device if this is the case, it's nothing to do with Push.

Cheers
D

deadwing2

Post by deadwing2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks for your reply :)

I know is not the fault of Push...what do you mean by reprogram the device?

Live can see that parameter Gain as one available to the MIDI mapping, so how do I map it to Push 2 considering that I’m using it as controller on stage?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 am

MIDI Mapping and how a device appears when it's selected by a control surface are completely separate.

The answer of what you need to do depends on if you're using Live 9 or 10.

Live 9, its the order attribute

Live 10, you need the live.banks object

This is all assuming you know what you're doing in MaxforLive.

Cheers
D

deadwing2

Post by deadwing2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks, so indeed you mean to modify the Device in Live.

I'm not new to programming, but honestly is quicker to use another similar component that is mapped already as we talk about a simple gain control.

To be honest though is unnecessary limited this Push 2...very flashy and really nicely done and useful and inspiring, but it lacks completely in what's needed by pro/power users, that is personalisation.

Being the Ableton's own controller should be a breeze (like most controllers) to assign a parameter or configure it...sadly every question I'm asking here always gets a reply on the lines "not is not possible"...oh well, will keep trying to go around such problems somehow :-)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:53 pm

Everything is possible! Well almost.... I've seen you posts on modes etc. and that's generally the position for all controllers, they have a start up position programmed and thats pretty much it without investing in other solutions.

ClyphX Pro has a section of actions for the push that can be triggered by MIDI, clip, scene, locator etc. or even Start up actions which I think is what you're looking for...

"PUSH MODE x where x is the Push Mode to select. For the most part, these work in the same way they would work when pressing buttons on Push. So, for example, if you're in Device Mode, you can't select Stop Mode as it's not available when Device Mode is selected. 1"

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/clyphx-pro/

If you can see a parameter on the Push 2 Screen but don't like how it's named or where it appears then you can edit it with PrEditor 2.

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/pre ... g-utility/

Cheers
D

deadwing2

Post by deadwing2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Brilliant...might be a coincidence, but when I was investigating today about another limitation (how to save scales/keys with Livesets and Push 2 together), I arrived exactly to ClyphX...without even investigating more, I bought it as it seems indeed what Ableton should have done in terms of integration!

Thanks for your hint about the mappings with ClyphX...I didn't see that part..I'll go through the manual and see how to do it.

Today I studied a lot...I'm now modifying the Python scripts for Push 2 to solve a problem I also flagged here, and many others did as well, and is there since years, about the second foot pedal to trigger loop recording...gonna test later if it all works, and I also wrote to Ableton how to fix it permanently (not using double pedal press to trigger new recording but actually holding the pedal press).