Akai force.....Ableton push....3??

Discuss Push with other users.
akaspeedy

Akai force.....Ableton push....3??

Post by akaspeedy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Hello,

Now that Akai are releasing the force with Ableton integration.....do you think an Ableton push 3 will be coming sooner rather than later...!??!

Cheers

Akaspeedy

dsy73

Re: Akai force.....Ableton push....3??

Post by dsy73 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:19 pm

No because they are not the same.
Akai Force is standalone, Push 2 is not and will not be standalone.
Akai Force is just a subset of Push 2 to control Live.

akaspeedy

Post by akaspeedy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:34 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that Ableton used Akai to develop the original push, and then dropped them once they figured out how the tech worked to develop the push 2....now Akai have released a standalone and Ableton integrated bit of hardware....I’m thinking they would push the development of the push 3 to compete with the Akai force....

Cheers

Akaspeedy

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:38 pm

Mmhmmm.

So you signed up just to force upon us an Akai product?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:21 pm

akaspeedy wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that Ableton used Akai to develop the original push, and then dropped them once they figured out how the tech worked to develop the push 2....now Akai have released a standalone and Ableton integrated bit of hardware....I’m thinking they would push the development of the push 3 to compete with the Akai force....

Cheers

Akaspeedy
Hard to say, I know the Force is doing pretty good sales wise, especially for a product without mature software out the door. As it stands it doesn't really hook up to Live as a controller yet and doesn't have a Song mode. People are still buying it and the first orders are out of the stores. AKAI have been pretty good lately about software updates but I still don't expect to see MPC 3.0 until June.

I don't know what Ableton think of their hardware sales of Push 2? It's IMO much harder to sell controllers that cost over $700 than it is to sell stand alone hardware. We still have no idea, and neither do Ableton about how well it actually integrates with Live. If it really uses the touch screen well, they could have a serious contender for Push 2, but it's still almost twice as expensive so there's that.

akaspeedy

Post by akaspeedy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Interesting thoughts there.......I love the push 2, but travel a lot and was hoping to be able to just take a single piece of equipment to whack ideas down as I travel but want to stay tied live......hence my interest in the force and why I’ve posted here for the first time (not that that should matter and I’m entitled to make comments on here seeing as I own live 10 and a push 2 so I think I’m more than allowed to ask serious questions about its future development and where it could potentially go)

Living out of hotel rooms I don’t really wanna have to take my MacBook Pro along with me as well as the push 2 and an adapter to plug it in to my usb-c ports and have it left in the hotel room......I’d rather just have a single product, so hoping that Ableton were gonna go the standalone/integrated route, with access to al the native Instruments/effects etc

Cheers

Akaspeedy

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm

akaspeedy wrote:Interesting thoughts there.......I love the push 2, but travel a lot and was hoping to be able to just take a single piece of equipment to whack ideas down as I travel but want to stay tied live......hence my interest in the force and why I’ve posted here for the first time (not that that should matter and I’m entitled to make comments on here seeing as I own live 10 and a push 2 so I think I’m more than allowed to ask serious questions about its future development and where it could potentially go)

Living out of hotel rooms I don’t really wanna have to take my MacBook Pro along with me as well as the push 2 and an adapter to plug it in to my usb-c ports and have it left in the hotel room......I’d rather just have a single product, so hoping that Ableton were gonna go the standalone/integrated route, with access to al the native Instruments/effects etc

Cheers

Akaspeedy
I seriously doubt we'll see any dedicated stand alone devices with VST plug ins as native for at least another 5 years.
There have been numerous attempts at selling stand alone hardware OEM Linux devices with windows VST wrappers over the years, none of them have lasted.

That said, the Force is coming with 25+ FX and four instruments made by Air. I have an MPC Live and the software is almost identical between them. The synth is a version of Vacuum Pro, a 303 bass, a version of Airs electric piano, and a Rompler hybrid synth kind of modeled like a smaller version of Omnisphere called Hype.

It's also getting Ableton controller support soon. Personally I would wait and see how it plays out, in the next couple months Force is getting a full OS, significant improvements. If it's a super solid contender with Push 2 it might be exactly what you're looking for. It's already a sampler with four synths, and a layout exactly like Ableton. You will be able to transfer your Force sets to Ableton Live BTW.

I'm on the fence about it myself. Owning the MPC Live I'm already 90% there with Force, barring it's coming Ableton compatibility, and Push2 layout. I own Push 2 as well though, so it really only shines for me as a substitute for Push 2, a sound card, a laptop and MPC Live. Thing is there's a guy who made an outstanding Reaper template, more like a full scripted application for Push 2. If he made one for Force I would be on it in a second.

dsy73

Post by dsy73 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:54 pm

Akai Force is standalone but not very portable:
- 19.9” x 16.7” x 3.4” / 50.5 x 42.4 x 8.7 cm (display flat)
- 19.9” x 15.3” x 8.4” / 50.5 x 38.8 x 21.4 cm (display upright)
- 12.57 lbs / 5.66 kg
Thing is there's a guy who made an outstanding Reaper template, more like a full scripted application for Push 2
If someone is interested: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:44 am

dsy73 wrote:Akai Force is standalone but not very portable:
- 19.9” x 16.7” x 3.4” / 50.5 x 42.4 x 8.7 cm (display flat)
- 19.9” x 15.3” x 8.4” / 50.5 x 38.8 x 21.4 cm (display upright)
- 12.57 lbs / 5.66 kg
Thing is there's a guy who made an outstanding Reaper template, more like a full scripted application for Push 2
If someone is interested: http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Reaper/Reaper.html
Compare it to what you would have to compare it to though, Push 2, a laptop and an audio card.
it’s eminently more portable than that.

akaspeedy

Post by akaspeedy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am

I think I may have to go and test one out then, as I’d like to be able to sketch out ideas whilst on the road without laptop etc. If I like the workflow I can always take the laptop if I need to flesh out an idea more thoroughly with plugins.......

I wonder if pmt have them in store to demo yet......if they do I’ll let you know how I get on with it...

Cheers

Speedy

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:08 am

...i cant't figure out how it would be possible to sketch out ideas in ableton without ableton/m4l/3rd party vsts...
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm

I really wish vendors would wait until all the promised features are in the OS before shipping. Just ask Elektron users who are still waiting for Overbridge. Until the full Live integration is ready, I'd wait.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:10 pm

doghouse wrote:I really wish vendors would wait until all the promised features are in the OS before shipping. Just ask Elektron users who are still waiting for Overbridge. Until the full Live integration is ready, I'd wait.
I agree, though I think AKAI to their credit have enough of a stand alone product here to merit releasing it. It does make threads like this pointless though, all we know as of now is that switching between stand alone and controlling Ableton is very smooth on the Force, but we haven't seen at all how it compares, if it does compare, to Push 2 in terms of controlling Live.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:49 pm

doghouse wrote:I really wish vendors would wait until all the promised features are in the OS before shipping. Just ask Elektron users who are still waiting for Overbridge. Until the full Live integration is ready, I'd wait.
Overbridge 2.0 has been in public beta for a few weeks already.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

akaspeedy

Post by akaspeedy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
I agree, though I think AKAI to their credit have enough of a stand alone product here to merit releasing it. It does make threads like this pointless though, all we know as of now is that switching between stand alone and controlling Ableton is very smooth on the Force, but we haven't seen at all how it compares, if it does compare, to Push 2 in terms of controlling Live.
That’s a good point as I’ve read that the force has 4 synth engines plus effects so it would probably just be bouncing those tracks down to audio to transfer into Ableton....now if they released these as plugins for Ableton that would be extremely awesome.......are you listening Akai lmao

Akaspeedy