Clyphx for PUSH2 Sticking notes

Discuss Push with other users.
LarZ2

Clyphx for PUSH2 Sticking notes

Post by LarZ2 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:25 am

Ableton 10 on a PC. I'm using PUSH2 to trigger a synth (External Instrument). Ableton is using Clyphx to change the PUSH scales, so I am always in the right key. One issue, sometimes in a song, a note sticks and continues to play, until I stop Ableton, or switch sounds on the synth. The problem has to be from Clyphx, because if Ableton is stopped, I can play the PUSH and the synth forever without any sticking, so I think it is not the synth, not PUSH, not Ableton. Anybody else using a PUSH2 and Clyphx for changing scales within Ableton? It is a great concept for changing keys on the PUSH.

Any ideas on how to solve this sticky note problem. ??

I suspect the problem may be with the Launch Mode, Follow action, etc for External Instrument. That's where Clyphx gets it's information to change clips.
It may be hanging when it is changing keys, and a note is being played. I'm just guessing. :roll:
LarZ

LarZ2

Re: Clyphx for PUSH2 Sticking notes

Post by LarZ2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 pm

I sent an email to Clyphx support, they answered in a couple of hours. That was Awesome. Their opinion is that Clyphx Pro is just changing scales, not triggering notes, so it cannot make a note stick. OK, that makes sense.

Anyone have a stuck note in Ableton, or on Push 2.? This happens when I am playing the Push 2, as a keyboard for midi notes to the Yamaha synth.
I have Ableton running with MIDI drums, bass, keys, and I am using the Push to trigger a solo-lead instrument on the synth. As I am jamming away with guitar, or sax, baaaaaaaaaaa, one note stays on and will not stop. I have not found a way to release it other than change synth presets, or stop Ableton.

Anybody have a similar issue ??? :roll:
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:20 am

Now I am thinking this is a PUSH 2 problem, because it has happened many times, and it happened just now with Ableton stopped.
I was just playing Push2 keypads and listening to my MODX Sax sound. Ableton was open, I'm playing the synth as an External Instrument with the sound coming into Ableton, and a PUSH note got stuck.

The PUSH2 still plays, but this one note is on, and will not stop. I have to shut down to stop it.
Anyone else using PUSH2 to play melody on a synth?
Anyone have a stuck note in Ableton, or on the PUSH2 ?

I could never use this for playing live if it is going to stick a note every 10 minutes.
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:54 pm

More clues at the scene of the crime ( : >) I have been trying to change settings in UTILITY, MIDI I/O to see if the problem is with MIDI input.
I have not found anything that helps yet. I can play two note chords on the PUSH2 or even 3 notes at one time with no problem.
But it seems like if I playing a scale of notes, and my fingers lightly touch another note, that is when one note sticks on. When that happens, the only way I have found to stop it is to hit the stop button on Ableton, or select a different performance on the MODX.

Here is a wild one, when a note sticks, if I push the RHYTHM PATTERN button on MODX two times, it will release the stuck note without stopping the music. I am not using any rhythm patterns from the MODX. All of my drum beats are coming from Ableton. Tell me why that works.

Any ideas appreciated.
Larry
LarZ

granted

Post by granted » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 am

Well I'm too embarrassed to print how long I've been using MIDI but it's a loooong time. My opinion on stuck notes is that it's just a part of using MIDI. Sometimes you can track it down to hardware issues or software issues but the reality is that stuck notes is such a common problem for so many years that I just assume it's part of the crappy MIDI spec.
Evidence that MIDI sucks and my MIDI mantras:
The MIDI PANIC button built in to many hardware and software MIDI devices. This pretty much says it all. Case closed. Move along.
Lower your expectation for MIDI. I know I have.
If you can do something without using MIDI then do it!
Don't wait for a company to fix a MIDI issue. It won't happen.
Make music not MIDI.

Maybe MIDI 2.0 will be better?
https://www.midi.org/articles-old/midi- ... cification

Somehow I doubt it.
Also never listen to anyone who tells you they don't have any problems using MIDI....

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks for that honest reply. Good to know. That begins to shed some light on the real issue here. This is a mystery and since it only happens with a combination of instruments, and MIDI, and there is nowhere to turn for support. If your experience shows that the MIDI software has flaws, that explains a lot of what is going on here. Knowing that MIDI is not perfect and has the potential for problems, gives me a whole new perspective. Thanks again.
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:14 am

After many attempts to solve the sticky notes, I may finally have it. Here is what is working today. I'm playing a MODX synth, using Push2 for triggering. I now have a midi track with push2 for input, and midi out to the synth. I have another track with External Instrument to bring the sound from the synth back in. That track has effects, and Clyphx to change scales. Today, that has been working for hours without stuck notes. Before I was trying to send midi out, and bring audio from external instrument in, on the same track. That must have been too much, Now ONE TRACK FOR MIDI OUT, AND ANOTHER FOR EXTERNAL IN, IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING. Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
LarZ

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Awesome!!

Cheers
D