Stop push from following what's happening in the main DAW?

Discuss Push with other users.
Mr D

Stop push from following what's happening in the main DAW?

Post by Mr D » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi folks,

Imagine i have two tracks in Live:

A drum rack track and a VST synth track.

Is there any way to make Push lock to the drum rack and ignore what happens on the screen?

So i mean: first i have the drum rack track selected and that's also what Push shows. Now i want to lock Push to this, so if i click on the synth track in the DAW, Push won't also jump to showing that track. It'll keep showing me the drum rack track.

I fear it's not possible but i'm hopeful!

blof_eld

Re: Stop push from following what's happening in the main DAW?

Post by blof_eld » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:19 am

I don't think there's a way to do it, which is ridiculous.

Such a simple thing to make playing live with Push so much better (or even possible), and you can't do it.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:51 am

It's probably to do with how the thing is designed.

It basically just mirrors the interface, in a translated form.

If it could do what we wanted, it would need to have two interfaces running concurrently, which presumably isn't possible.

You can do it with a Novation Launchpad for example, but that's because (i suspect) it connects to the DAW in a different way (only via midi).

blof_eld

Post by blof_eld » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am

Yeah, it makes sense when you put it that way.

Still a bit irritating though.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I agree!

I guess wait for Push 3?!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:13 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:47 pm
What a load of nonsense replies.... :?
Mr D wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 pm
Imagine i have two tracks in Live:

A drum rack track and a VST synth track.

Is there any way to make Push lock to the drum rack and ignore what happens on the screen?
It depends on what you want to ignore, I assume starting (or recording) clips and all that?

That could be easy...
  • Press control + , to enter your settings.
  • Select the "Record Warp Launch" tab.
  • Disable 'Select on Launch'.
This should keep your focus on one track while you're doing stuff in the other. Do note: if you create a new midi clip for example then yah, focus shifts. But not if you start any of those.

Not sure your understanding what these users (and many others over the last 5 years) are asking.

What they want is the ability to "lock" push to something so you can still click around in Live and adjust things but have Push remain on a track or device so you can monitor it. This becomes especially desirable when you want to make adjustments to something like the Master channel while you are also playing or editing a track. Because Push auto-follows what is active on screen there is no way to have it lock to something where it would be VERY useful to have this especially when you move to Arrangement mode Push loses a lot of its usefulness.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:06 pm

The CrossFire script for the Akai Fire by nativeKONTROL has a lock to track feature... No saying it's possible with Push 2 just that it's possible...

Cheers
D

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 pm
Sorry that it took so long (I don't always have time (or the motivation) to work on my audio projects) but my beta has been released:

https://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/5792/pushlock

PushLock is a small M4l device which does what its name implies: it locks your push to a specific device. It's still a beta, but so far it's decently stable for me. Hope some of you can find some use for this.
Seems to work "somewhat"

It does lock a devices "view" but not a whole device or track (which is the ultimate goal). For instance, if you select an EQ8 and actually enter into it to view all parameters it spans over 5 pages. Lock it with the utility and it will "freeze" that view on the screen and you can control it when on another track which is cool, but the rest of Push still follows the users selection so switching tracks you lose the page tabs for the device and will be stuck on the specific page. Might be ok for a device with only 8 controls.

Not sure about every user but I think the ultimate desire is to have a simple switch that disconnects Push from following whatever is being done on-screen and instead acts completely independant so you can select anything you want to control regardless of what you are viewing on screen. That's the golden ticket for me anyway but this is a decent attempt at making something usable and seems to work just fine

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:16 am

Kudos!
That's something that's on my M4L todo list for quite some time so it's nice to see someone doing the hard work :P
I'll try to have a look to see if I can help, without any promise (because of time, and a somewhat limited M4L knowledge... which means more time to solve issues!).