Looper Functionality

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
tjdumser

Looper Functionality

Post by tjdumser » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 am

Hi all. New-ish to Ableton and have been loving it. As it is right now in Setup Mode, I use MidiPipe to trick Ableton and allow me to midi map the looper button to the back pedal port, allowing me to start and stop the looper with a sustain pedal. I’m an improviser that builds up a completely ambient and non-tempo’d scape on my pedalboard and then use the Ableton looper to “determine” the bpm (essentially putting a number to what I was hearing in my head) so I can sequence drums and arps within Ableton in time with my randomness I made on my board. Following so far? While the set goes on and I eventually change the tempo and change the key, I may build up a new soundscape on my pedalboard and want to now feed that into Ableton which may be a different meter than was established by the first in and out of the Ableton looper. If I step on the looper it’ll wait for the next beat instead of taking charge/disregarding the current tempo and changing the tempo to my newly established one. Does what I’m describing make sense and am I just overlooking something simple to you power users out there? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

ShelLuser

Re: Looper Functionality

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:55 pm

This whole "pedal not to the midi metal" bugs me as well, I was assuming the inputs would work the same as my APC40. No promises! (and definitely no ETA) but I am definitely doing to fire up M4l to see what can be done about all this. I mean... if I hit the pedal then Live gets a signal, I can see it. So as far as I know all I have to do is pick up said signal and then activate a looper.

It's been a few years but I have been here before 8)

To be continued.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.
Blog: SynthFan (temporarily offline due to maintenance!).

ShelLuser

Re: Looper Functionality

Post by ShelLuser » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am

Why not simply enable the Push user mode?

The only thing you need to verify is that you enabled remote input in your MIDI settings. So go to the Live preferences (control + ,), select the "Link MIDI" tab and make sure that you have enabled "Remote" for the Push input (and optionally the output) port(s). Then you're home free.

Enable user mode (press the user button) and Push will mention as such. Now simply midi map the pedal as you always have. Done. Press the user button again to leave user mode and get ready to play.

I agree that it's a little bit of a work around (having to press the user button before your pedal will work) but it's doable and IMO a lot easier than having to rely on some 3rd party software.

(edit)

This way you can even midi map some other controls as well for functions which you really need.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Komplete 12.
Blog: SynthFan (temporarily offline due to maintenance!).