Loading audio clips from same directory

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
villahousut

Loading audio clips from same directory

Post by villahousut » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

When creating new drum racks, I just love my Push 2. I'm in browse mode, I just load a sample, hit next empty pad, scroll to the next sample, load it, etc. I can load tens of drum samples from the same folder one after another.

However, when I create a new audio track and want to load loops to fill it, after I load a loop the browser forgets the folder I was in. So for each slot I need to go to browser, navigate to the exact sample folder I was just in, load the next, and start all over again.

Am I missing something? This is super tedious! Especially when there's no proper categorization for samples like there is in Maschine!

jestermgee

Re: Loading audio clips from same directory

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:03 am

villahousut wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm
Am I missing something? This is super tedious! Especially when there's no proper categorization for samples like there is in Maschine!
Nope, you are not missing anything and it's been that way for half a decade now and one of the reasons I personally ditched the "all in the box" approach of Push and never use it to browse for things anymore, the mouse and keyboard are just easier and more efficient at the same thing and far less frustrating over time. That and the fact it's completely inconsistent sometimes from what is displayed in Push as opposed to what is available in the library on-screen. For instance, I am looking at Push right now and when I go and try and access a folder I have in the root of my User library called "Instruments" it does not even appear but in Lives browser it's there with 50,000 files in there to load. Constantly have this file missing issue on Push so I just forget the browser side of things on it.

villahousut

Post by villahousut » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:18 am

jestermgee wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:03 am
Constantly have this file missing issue on Push so I just forget the browser side of things on it.
You're probably in the wrong context on Push, perhaps? So i.e. if you're in clip mode it browses stuff suitable for clips, if you're in device mode and you've got a device selected it only browses for audio effects, etc.? No?

In any case the usability of Push is pretty awful, I'll probably sell it forward. Just bought it used to try and indeed, Ableton is nowhere near as easy and fun to use as Maschine.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:27 am

villahousut wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:18 am
jestermgee wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:03 am
Constantly have this file missing issue on Push so I just forget the browser side of things on it.
You're probably in the wrong context on Push, perhaps? So i.e. if you're in clip mode it browses stuff suitable for clips, if you're in device mode and you've got a device selected it only browses for audio effects, etc.? No?

In any case the usability of Push is pretty awful, I'll probably sell it forward. Just bought it used to try and indeed, Ableton is nowhere near as easy and fun to use as Maschine.
Nah that's not the case here. My "Instruments" folder is a complete amalgamation of all content from Live, my own samples and presets of VSTs so it has loops, clips, channel strips, presets etc all in there somewhere and I always seem to find missing folders where they appear in Live no problem. Haven't used the browser for a long time mind you.

Apart from browsing, the rest of Push is pretty solid and I use it often. I also have a Maschine Studio but never use that outside testing and development of stuff, it's something that's fun but not designed to really finish anything and I simply haven't time to spare on it.