Push 2 User mode data loop crash

Discuss Push with other users.
emkays

Push 2 User mode data loop crash

Post by emkays » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:17 am

Is everyone else seeing a critical bug where the Push 2 crashes immediately when entering User mode if there is (for example): a MIDI track with Push 2 User port as input and output with input monitoring on? This is a major bug that makes several days worth of session setup a problem for a show in two days. Hopefully it's just me and there's a way around this, but no luck so far.

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 User mode data loop crash

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:25 am

OS?
Live version?

emkays

Post by emkays » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:48 pm

Mac OS 10.14.4
Live 10.1.3
Latest Push firm

Though I'd be curious if this is present in other versions of 10 or other OS's too. I've narrowed the issue down a bit further and it has something to do with "leaving" user mode. So I've got a temporary workaround: I've mapped a user mode button to switch input monitoring for channels that pass data through the Push. So before leaving, I hold down that button to switch monitoring to "off" and then can safely leave user mode. When coming back, I hit that button again to enable. Forgetting this constantly though and have to restart the push...but at least it works in an emergency.

emkays

Post by emkays » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I think I've tracked it down to a little chunk of SysEx data that is communicated between Live and Push when pushing this button. This little chunk of data seems to take down the communication protocol between the two, but only in Live 10. I tried narrowing down the behaviour as best as I could, and it's specifically this that causes the bug/crash. No matter where this data comes from (even when recorded and fed back to Live via other means).

Hopefully the developers can fix this one quickly since this basically means User mode is completely broken for anyone using user mode as an output and input and will lead to a crash every time.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 am

I think this is the result of Live now supporting Sysex. Apart from the Sysex commands, there's no way to create a feedback loop.
Switching modes sends a confirmation message, which is also the trigger message.
Not in the studio atm, but there's something that might work:

- Add a MIDI Effect Rack
- Create a Chain
- Go to the Chain Selector View
- Right-Click the Chain Selector and select "Filter MIDI controls"

This might filter the Sysex, but also the CC and AT messages.

Another alternative is a simple MFL patch that filters the Sysex.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:45 am

emkays wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:44 pm
Hopefully the developers can fix this one quickly since this basically means User mode is completely broken for anyone using user mode as an output and input and will lead to a crash every time.
Maybe, but you’d have to write to support@ableton.com to let the devs know about your finding.
Even though, as said above, this might be more of a weird user setup than a bug per se, some kind of midi feedback limiter/protection could be handy, maybe.
Ableton Forum Moderator