Ableton Push 3 update

Discuss Push with other users.
maky355

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by maky355 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 am

I am not here to stir up controversy.

I noticed that the biggest European retailer (Thomann) does NOT have Push 2 in stock anymore.

I visited Sweetwater (USA) and they have the same situation. They only have ONE unit and that is a USED unit. It says only 1 left in stock.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... Push2IntU3

My question is perhaps that's an indication of the upcoming new device this year? Or perhaps this is just an indication of low stock unit volume which will be recovered during the year.

Is there some upcoming music show when we could expect something big?

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:50 pm

Hmm. Maybe. They also have a discount on the Abe store as we speak.

While this has happened before, it is pretty rare AFAIK.

B4L

Post by B4L » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 pm

I saw in another forum that Ableton are only selling the push direct now. Could be due to supply issues, change of strategy, or because they want to clear stock before new a new device is launched (or even discontinuing it)

maky355

Post by maky355 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:12 am

B4L wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:35 pm
I saw in another forum that Ableton are only selling the push direct now. Could be due to supply issues, change of strategy, or because they want to clear stock before new a new device is launched (or even discontinuing it)
Didn't know that. Cool info. Then we can (as before) only speculate about it.

My "hunch" tells me we are going g to see an updated version this year. I don't look forward to a "standalone" device but perhaps something with a larger screen and touch maybe but again that's my simpleton mind.

I worked with AKAI Force a few months ago and it surprised me how I liked the touch function for mixing, step sequencing, and MIDI edit.

Push 2 and current Ableton Lice is still super duper capable and friendly.

J-Fly

Post by J-Fly » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:23 pm

Just accept it.........it's time

Orhan Ayaz

Post by Orhan Ayaz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 am

Why you think it's time? Are there any features or functions missing?
I don't see people speaking about features that are not there. We have Push 2 and Akai Force which work as Ableton Live controller natively and cover a lot of functionality. Well, one thing I miss personally is Arrangement View controller. Even with that thing in mind, Push 2 cover most if not all necessary features. What is missing? Why you need another controller?

Why not use any of Novation/Akai controllers is a mini is needed? I believe Push 2 is a finished product that still has miles to go. It is not aged, it is still modern and is well thought. Why need another version?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:58 pm

Orhan Ayaz wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 am
I don't see people speaking about features that are not there. We have Push 2 and Akai Force which work as Ableton Live controller natively and cover a lot of functionality. Well, one thing I miss personally is Arrangement View controller. Even with that thing in mind, Push 2 cover most if not all necessary features. What is missing? Why you need another controller?

Why not use any of Novation/Akai controllers is a mini is needed? I believe Push 2 is a finished product that still has miles to go. It is not aged, it is still modern and is well thought. Why need another version?
My idea too, miss nothing on a Push 2.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

panten

Post by panten » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:55 pm

Orhan Ayaz wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 am

Stray’s PXT-Live scripts for Push1 had excellent Arrangement view functionality. That’s something I seriously miss when using Push2 but there’s no reason they couldn’t implement that on Push2 themselves. Ableton seem intent on making their old gear redundant.

Improvements I’d like to see in some new hardware is:
  • a better touch strip
  • inclusion of a cross fader
  • better function buttons. Both Push 1 & 2 have missed the mark in terms of tactile quality (not talking about the velocity/pressure sensitive buttons here)
  • Better tempo tap button (Why they never allowed us to turn the pads into a temporary tempo capture function is beyond me)
  • Real-time Swing
  • Sampling directly to drum rack pads
  • Slightly smaller device (They could reduce the footprint by adopting better and smaller function buttons similar to the Elektron devices)

Drowl

Post by Drowl » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:58 am

The push 2 is amazing but plenty of things can be added on it.

1. Make the material so it doesn't turn to glue after 1 year
2. make the screen bigger so it basically can show any devices not only devices that were specifically done. Basically a projection of Ableton Detail view. Not needed but it would be cool if it was possible with a touch screen to have this. (not saying they will do it just it can be something done)
2.1. Basically being able to edit piano roll there would be cool.
3. Have 2 rows of knobs to control more parameters or have the knobs be pushable like on the dj tech tools controller. 2 layer of control is dope.
4. More integration of arrangement view ? How idk im not designing it but it would be cool
5. Battery powered so you can use it on your couch with the monitor facing you or your headphones but not being in front.
6. Or simple audio interface to get sound in/out of it.

I know a touchscreen could be shitty and one more thing prone to failure but then I would be really nice to move stuff in eq8 at the same time.
I think when you look at controller like touchable there is room for improvement on this side with the push.

Heck I don't even know the push 2 is great as is but for me the material isn't that great and I can definitely see some improvement on the screen. I want also to have more direct control to things. using the push makes me miss the mouse a lot but its about workflow

annadyne

Post by annadyne » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:42 am

Push XYZ needs all of its two-handed operations to optionally be ONE-HANDED.
How many of us want to do a control change that needs both hands while wanting to turn a knob or keep playing keys/gesture controller?

Maybe there's a way via ClyphX?
Max for Live?

This really should be baked into the firmware or Ableton, and not require special programming hooha.
Also would add a little more accessibility for single-handed folks.

I'm getting ready to Acetone-off all that sticky garbage covering they dunked the chassis in.
It just gets worse with time and storage. Studiologic SL series keyboards had that nasty covering and by the time I got a skwonky old one from Moog where I worked for a while, it was completely oog. I covered it up. But you can't really do that with Push.

YES to carry-on flight-friendly size. Bring back the Push 1 knobs, too. And make them panel mounted for more durability.

All that aside, I still appreciate Push 2.
I'm building and auditioning guitar pedals with ex-Moog engineer friend and hardware stuff is. not. easy.

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:48 pm

My dream push3 would be a lot like the current Akai Force without the standalone features really. I mean standalone would be nice but I don't really need it that much.
What do I love more about the Force surface than the Push 2?
  • The Screen: I like the screen to be able to show a mirror of the grid/timeline I am currently working on. That said the Push 3's screen should be larger (maybe double the hight and keep the width?)
  • Screen and 8x8 grid can show and handle different things: With the Force I can edit a sequence/record a track/play something live via the 8x8 grid while I can view and trigger tracks shown on the screen.
  • Encoders should be BELOW the screen. So I don't cover the whole screen when I adjust some values. As a bonus oleds next to the encoders (or the lower row of the screen) could always show the current encoder value for the selected track/device/whatever and some page buttons to switch the pages. -> This means that the screen and the encoders could show something entirely different. Together with point 2 this means that you could control 3 different things at once on the Push 3 making it a true live tool.
  • Stuff that should already be implemented with Push2:
    • Mixed mode in 8x8 grid: Why can't I have the top 8x4 grid to launch clips while the bottom 8x4 can be used for finger drumming or playing notes?
    • Dedicated chord/chord-progression mode: I can play chords on a push sure. But why can't I play chords or chord progressions via one pad?
Things I wish the Push 3 would have - or not:
  • Plastic buttons with a satisfying click that are fun to press. Those wobbly Push 2 buttons are a disgrace
  • NO TPU coating - That's so early 00's and causes more problems than it solves in the long run. Not to speak of making the push hard to clean anyway
  • I never needed that ribbon controller. And I don't know why I should need it.
This basically concludes it.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:02 pm

@binarysum I agree with a lot of what you said, a couple of points.
Mixed mode in 8x8 grid: Why can't I have the top 8x4 grid to launch clips while the bottom 8x4 can be used for finger drumming or playing notes?
you could do this with NativeKontrol's PXT-Live and is something I really miss from owning a Push1. Really wish Stray would implement it again for Push2.
Dedicated chord/chord-progression mode: I can play chords on a push sure. But why can't I play chords or chord progressions via one pad?
Couldn't you also set this up using Midi devices?

binarysun

Post by binarysun » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:41 pm

panten wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Dedicated chord/chord-progression mode: I can play chords on a push sure. But why can't I play chords or chord progressions via one pad?
Couldn't you also set this up using Midi devices?
You know what … I don’t know. But if you could, is it anything you want to do manually? I would assume you’d have to do it for every scale you want to use? Or do I underestimate Live here?
I just recently got a Push 2 again. Again means that I sold it some years ago because I didn’t like it. I am still not 100% sure if I love it but feel more comfortable with it now. If only I could get rid of the PC until final mixing. So I am really missing the things the Force can do which I sent back because of some limitations I didn’t want to deal with. Namely a way to seamlessly take my work from standalone to a computer for final processing which is the thing the MPC excels at but there the DAW portion just lacks extremely compared to Ableton Live. So my crux is mainly: Ableton Live is the best DAW, Akai Force the best standalone and MPC the best seamlessness. If only there was a way to get that integrated into each other I would madly buy into it. Maybe Akai (namely inMusic) and Ableton should collaborate again. Force and MPC have some Live control mode but those are rudimentary at best and I never got them to feel as advertised.

projexo

Post by projexo » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:03 am

Tips the tinfoil hat

Push seemed to be completely unlisted from Thomann in a way even the search bar didn't find it for a few months. So I thought that's it.. it is coming! The big 3.

But I just checked and now you can find it again with an estimated restock of 5-7 weeks.

Adjusts tinfoil hat

Bois... That's not a restock. that's the new shit... I'm telling you!

Anyways.
I don't get the comments 'there is nothing to upgrade', or 'it's perfect'. Bro phone companies release mostly the same phone every year. EA sports games are the same every year :D The changes don't have to be huge, just a little update.. don't make it push 3.. do a push 2 mkII. I want to get one, but I'm uncomfortable buying 7-year-old tech.

B4L

Post by B4L » Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:24 am

Thomann is saying x weeks specifically for the Push 2 though