Ableton Push 3 update

Discuss Push with other users.
jestermgee

Re: Ableton Push 3 update

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:01 am

JJSC wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 am
Well, i don't want to spend money on a push 2 and 3 months later there's a new and enhanced version of it. I just want to know if there's something imminent coming so I should wait for it!
Just hold off indefinitely. When Push 3 is finally released i'd suggest holding off another few years because P4 might also be around the corner.

Companies will rarely release news of something until something is ready to be released. What you are asking for is a release date for the release date news.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:33 am

Tuesday?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

JJSC

Post by JJSC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:49 pm

I said better in the sense of better suited for my needs, one of the crucial things I hope for a new version of push is size, push 1 and 2 are gigantic, I hope the new version will take rid of the pads grid

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Pad grid is unique and makes Push so good within Ableton
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 pm

JJSC wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:49 pm
I said better in the sense of better suited for my needs, one of the crucial things I hope for a new version of push is size, push 1 and 2 are gigantic, I hope the new version will take rid of the pads grid
You want something small then Push is not for you, simple as.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

JJSC

Post by JJSC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:54 pm

Yep, that's the problem, I couldn't care less about session mode and launching clips...

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Then Ableton isnt for you..

JJSC

Post by JJSC » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:59 pm

haha ok

JJSC

Post by JJSC » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 am

And yes, komplete kontrol is something I have to investigate further!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:13 pm

ShelLuser wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:43 pm
Just because it's a Push 3 doesn't automatically imply it'll be great.
Correct.

Manufacturers can mess up with certain releases.

That said Ableton are usually pretty detailed oriented.

Push 2 is a great controller as is. It is probably one of the best controllers arguably made for any DAW.

Ableton kind of designed the controllers to be somewhat open ended as well to kind of grow with the DAW itself, which keeps them from having to redo the hardware each version.

Only real improvement I can think of is an audio interface built-in. Maybe a tagging system for browsing Packs, plugins, and samples (but this probably doesn't require new hardware).

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:14 am

The problem with the idea of a radically different Push 3 is it throws away years of development and feedback cycles invested in Push 1 and 2 (which are fundamentally the same, other than the much nicer display). People have spent years learning to use Push as the centerpiece of production in the studio and/or building up live performance setups around it. Major Ableton Live updates come with significant additions and improvements to Push, including Push 1 (and they say "We plan to continue supporting Push 1 and to adapt our new features to it, whenever possible.").

To me it's clear Ableton is committed to the existing Push controller and sees lots of potential to keep improving it. A total redesign would throw out all that progress and make them start over from scratch, which — as anyone who's used Ableton Live for a long time can tell you (it still looks and works pretty much the same way it did in version 1) — is not the way they do things.

Since a total redesign doesn't make any sense, whatever improvements they'd like to make to the hardware (I'm sure they have ideas) would have to be incremental and not disrupt anyone's established workflow. My point being: Even if they're working on Push 3 right now and it happens to come out a week after you buy a Push 2, you still have a fantastic controller that's built specifically for the software you use, and if the past several years are any indication, it will continue to be supported and improved for many years to come. And if you really must have some new feature in Push 3, well, maybe they'll have a trade-in program like they did when Push 2 was released (you could send in your Push 1 for 30% off a Push 2).

freakydinde

Post by freakydinde » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:45 pm

i only want a push 3 with a audio interface and usb c connector, no need to rework anything else, other needed improvement are software related.

drgania

Post by drgania » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Linnstrument style pads is the improvement that could be somewhat groundbreaking yet still not radically different when it comes to workflow and preserving what’s unique about push.

JoséCarven

Post by JoséCarven » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:40 pm

Just as a fantasy.. I'd like to see another four 8-pad lines to make it 96 pads overall. Just to extend the range and cover 88 piano keys.
Probably another line of encoders definitely would be nice to have. VSTi/AU etc support is long awaited.

I guess most of the dreams about Push 3 are based around the idea not just to become mouse-free, but rather become free from all other controllers, like midi fighter, or any other stuff you wish your Push can do or cover.

PS
Maybe we will live long enough to see Modular Push..

Akachiproductions.com

Post by Akachiproductions.com » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:43 pm

I hope it comes out too. I seen all the aggressive nonsensical replies you got like you where asking something wrong. That's f'd up. Forum people these days... Besides thyay, workflow wise (16vs64 pad talk) the maschine is overall easier and more sensible work flow but arranging a whole song in maschine isn't fun. The DAW is where the push shines not the 64 pads. I've owned both.

I'm looking forward to push 3 because as well.