Push 2 - Problem: Footswitches influence values of Master-Volume, Swing-Amount, etc.

Discuss Push with other users.
Franco D.

Push 2 - Problem: Footswitches influence values of Master-Volume, Swing-Amount, etc.

Post by Franco D. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:07 pm

Hello!
I recently bought an Ableton Push 2, had to send it back because of the problem, got a new one, same problem, had to send it back - before it took me months to decide to spend money on the ableton push 2, but with the following problem I simply cannot use it:

1. Ableton Push 2 on
2. Booting Laptop
3. Starting Ableton
4. Connect footswitches (also tried before booting or switching on the Push2)
(I tried: Boss FS 5U (old), M-Audio Sp-2 (newly ordered to check if the BossFS is broken)
5. Everything works: Sustain and Looper function without a problem

Problem:
6. Footswitches start influencing the values of Master-Volume (MV) and/or Swing-Amount (S-A)
6.1. First the values of Master-Volume and Swing-Amount only change when I touch the cable or plug in the footswitches, while everything is running.
6.2. Then the values of Master-Volume and Swing-Amount change without me touching anything.

While in "Simpler Mode", for example, they also started influencing "Start-" and "Endpoint" of samples or the "Nudge".

Can anyone help me? I haven't found anyone-else having this problem.

Best regards,
Franco

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 - Problem: Footswitches influence values of Master-Volume, Swing-Amount, etc.

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:52 pm

Sounds like some kind of interference issue possibly more than anything.

Which port are you connecting to? Have you tested both ports and do they both have the same issue?

Are you powering the Push with the power supply or just the USB cable? If you are using the power supply, can you test and see if you still have the same issue if you power from USB only? Same if you are not using the P/S, do you see the same issue if you connect it?

What is your computer (laptop, tower, mac/pc)?

If you see values jumping for no apparent reason this is often caused by grounding or interference issues. It could be your USB cable in the back of Push is not pushed in all the way and making a poor ground, your power connections or grounding in your home is poor, there is a significant amount of noise or radio interference around you. The cable for the foot pedal can act as an antenna and pick up signals and carry it direct into Push. Grounding should sink this but poor ground will allow it to interfere with other things. Also make sure your foot pedal cable is not coiled up (or any of your cables).

Hard one to solve but if you replaced Push and it happens with multiple pedals then the issue is unlikely to be these things, it must be something else.

Franco D.

Re: Push 2 - Problem: Footswitches influence values of Master-Volume, Swing-Amount, etc.

Post by Franco D. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm

I used the Push with or without power-cable, and the Macbook Pro (Early 2011) with and without (original) Magsafe-Poweradapter.
Concerning the footswitch-ports: I tried both jackets. Both influenced the values.

This time it seems (!) to be the power cable of the Macbook Pro which is causing the problems.

Today the problem wasn't coming from the pedals but the knobs at the top were influencing each other ... example: in the Simpler, turning the knob for the "Startpoint" of the sample influenced both the "master-volume" and the "swing amount".

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Things you can try to rule out hardware defect:

- Put Push on a different surface than it is now. I suggest the foam it came in or on the cardboard box.

- If you have an anti-static bracelet, it might help prevent static charges jumping to knobs. The knob-caps conduct when touched.

- Trigger the pedal from your desk, maybe your floor surface adds static charges to the pedal connection.

- Connect Push to a different power source than the laptop

- Install the MIDI Monitor app, it may capture the glitches. If you turn one knob and get 3 different CC's, the readout from the added CC's are probably going to be quick bursts. There should only be one note though, touching an encoder sends a note, twisting it sends a CC.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Also, try and test with the laptop + push disconnected from power. I suspect that if you float your system (have nothing connected to AC power and running from battery power) yopu will see normal operation.

You could have a poor grounding in your home and what you see is potential signals/voltage running into your laptop earth and into Push.

Franco D.

Post by Franco D. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 am

just realised that I am not the only one having this problem: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=227525

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:11 am

Franco D. wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 am
just realised that I am not the only one having this problem: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=227525
Yes... it happens.... and the info in that thread is basically exactly the same information being given here, and from what I see, it resolved the other posters issues.

NisiMasa

Post by NisiMasa » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:08 pm

Franco, did you solve the issue? I have the same problem with a desktop windows machine and it frustrates me brutally! Non of the suggestions worked for me. Power supply on or off it doesn't make a difference. It is impossible to perform like this!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:30 pm

NisiMasa wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:08 pm
Franco, did you solve the issue? I have the same problem with a desktop windows machine and it frustrates me brutally! Non of the suggestions worked for me. Power supply on or off it doesn't make a difference. It is impossible to perform like this!
And did you ask support@ableton.com ?
Ableton Forum Moderator