Push 2 not recognised by Ableton 10

Discuss Push with other users.
dubsystm

Push 2 not recognised by Ableton 10

Post by dubsystm » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:51 pm

Hi

I am routinely losing a connection to my push2 from Ableton 10, it will be working absolutely fine and then I'll close Ableton and start a new session and it wont recognise my push 2. The only way to get it to recognise it is a full reboot.

I have tried using different USB ports, switching it on and off whilst Ableton is open but the controller appears in red in midi preferences.

It's driving me crazy to be honest as there seems to be no reason why this is happening.

Does anyone have a permenant fix for this, I've read a few other threads but they've not been much help.

Cheers

Dubs

jestermgee

Re: Push 2 not recognised by Ableton 10

Post by jestermgee » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:15 am

I get the same thing on occasion. Push is detected by windows and appears to be fine but Live just does not see it when loaded.

I seem to have solved this in my case by reordering the control surfaces I have in Preferences. Maybe just check you do not have multiple Push instances listed as control surfaces. In my case I have 5 different control surface devices and just needed Push at the top of the list apparently (in my case)

Before this fix tho, I would just switch Push off then back on and it would appear. Never was a need to completely restart the system. Have you tried that? Do yopu get the USB connect/disconnect sound when you do?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:55 am

If the controller is Red in preferences, it means something else grabbed the port.
If another app that supports MIDI is running, you need to disable the Live port in that app.
If no other MIDI Apps are running, make sure all Chromium browsers are closed. WebMIDI can also grab MIDI ports.

dubsystm

Post by dubsystm » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I suspect something is grabbing the midi port - I thought with Win7 you got up to 10 ports and as I only have 5 devices I didn't consider this but perhaps Ableton expects Push to remain on the same port throughout a windows session

That could also explain why Ableton shows a second Push as an available device

Is there any way to check which app is using which port in win7?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Keep in mind, its normal to see 2 ports. On Win it'll be "Ableton Push 2" for the Live port and "MIDIIN2 Push 2" for the User port.
If you see something like (Ableton Push 2 #2) it might be time to reboot. I think in that case something grabbed the port and loaded a second driver for Push 2.

I don't know if you can check what App is using Push, but it doesn't matter much. If you want to use a MIDI Controller in Windows, you need to make sure it is the first thing to connect to Live.
So no MIDI/Rewire Apps that automatically start up, the ports you use in Live must be disabled everywhere else. With that same logic, you can use the Push 2 User port in an external app if that port is disabled in Live.
There shouldn't be that much variables to check. LoopMIDI, Bomes, Lemur Daemon or any other DAW need to start up after Live.
If you're using MFL (and edit patches with a full license), make sure the MIDI Ports are disabled in Max' preferences too.

dubsystm

Post by dubsystm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:19 pm

Thanks for clarifying, this makes sense to me

I will make sure I start things up in order and basically not use anything else outside of Ableton for midi.

Appreciate the response, cheers