Can't get fixed length to work on Push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
john_oates

Can't get fixed length to work on Push 2

Post by john_oates » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:38 am

I'm a complete beginner with Push 2 and Ableton. I'm trying to follow some basic online tutorials about creating drum patterns. In the tutorials they:
  • load a drum kit
  • set tempo and turn on the metronome
  • turn on 'fixed length' (say to 2 bars)
  • press record
  • start finger drumming
In the videos I'm watching, they're then able to enter a 2 bar drum pattern which will then loop. The bottom left 4x4 pads are illuminated and trigger drum sounds. There are also 2 pads illuminated in white immediately to the right of those pads (in the bottom right quarter). There's also a moving light in the top 4 rows of the Push 2 and pads light to indicate beats which have been added.

For me, that doesn't seem to work. The recording isn't limited to 2 bars, it just keeps going and never loops. Only the bottom left 4x4 pads are illuminated, nothing lights up at all in the top 4 rows of the Push 2 and there are no pads lit in the bottom right quarter either. The fixed length button is flashing to show that it's turned on.

I haven't changed any of the default settings in Live or on the Push 2.

I'm sure I'm doing something basic wrong, but I've watched several videos and followed them precisely. I just can't seem to get fixed length working, so I can't do any of the beginners' drumming tutorials. A bit of help would be much appreciated, so I can get started with learning!