Macbook Pro & Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Discuss Push with other users.
alfiebuttons

Macbook Pro & Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Post by alfiebuttons » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi there.

Has anyone had any experience moving to a newer MacBook (2016 onwards) with only TB3/USB-C connectivity.

If so, how did you work with your Push or any other legacy USB devices for that matter.

I want to swap my Mac out for newer model sooner rather than later but I am aware it will cause me numerous connectivity issues.

Any advice and experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex.

Tarekith

Re: Macbook Pro & Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm

16" MBP here, I use a Cal Digit TS3 Plus for connecting my entire studio as well as powering the MBP. Works great, one cable to the laptop is all I need and the TS3 has 5 normal USB ports and 2 USB-c ports plus more. No issues at all having multiple synths, Push 2, my DAC and multiple external HDs all working at once.

alfiebuttons

Post by alfiebuttons » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi there.

Ok that's great. No known speed or other issues from adding something in-between?

Cheers,

Alex.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Not that I can tell.

alfiebuttons

Post by alfiebuttons » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Greatl cheers

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:10 am

I experienced one issue on a new 16inch MBP where my Novation Launch Control XL would work with a 3rd-party Anatek USB-C adapter but my Launch Control (the non-XL model) would not. Same port/cable everything - one would go and the other not. Swapping the Anatek adapter for an Apple-branded USB-C adapter (4 times the price) made it work perfectly.

Possibly something to be aware of, I'll be using Apple adapters for mission-critical functions from here on.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:30 am

I always use the Apple adaptors, I just factor them into the cost of a new laptop when I'm considering one. Stupid expensive for sure, but it's just not the worth the hassle to end up possibly wasting time troubleshooting issues from cheaper ones.
Last edited by Tarekith on Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alfiebuttons

Post by alfiebuttons » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 am

Hey that's great Tarekith. Cheers, Alex

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm
16" MBP here, I use a Cal Digit TS3 Plus for connecting my entire studio as well as powering the MBP. Works great, one cable to the laptop is all I need and the TS3 has 5 normal USB ports and 2 USB-c ports plus more. No issues at all having multiple synths, Push 2, my DAC and multiple external HDs all working at once.
Same here. The TS3 is an excellent solution, highly recommended. I keep my Apple power supply in my computer bag so I never accidentally forget it at home. TS3 also nullifies T2 chip problems (if they are still causing issues, I haven't kept up)

I also stick with Apple adapters, better safe than sorry with the wild west of USB C products out there, its like walking though a field of land mines...

Good advice Tarekith :wink:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 pm

I use a simple $40 adapter (purchased from Kogan.com here in Australia) that is aluminium, has 3 x USB3, power thru for the adaptor as well as external HDMI, Ethernet and SD card input and it works great, no issues at all so far with anything USB attached. Compared to the $410au for the TS3 it's a hell of a difference in cost.

The TS3 is obviously for the more "serious" user that has money to burn on top tier reliability, but for that cost you could test 10x cheaper units to find a reliable one. Sticking to the official P/S is always a good idea where possible but also keep in mind charging devices over USB-C conform to a strict specification just like PoE for ethernet so don't be too fooled into thinking your precious Mac needs "only the best" in every aspect, many USB-C power supplies will be perfectly adequate, just try and steer clear of the unknowns on e-bay and purchase something through a retailer you can at least contact for support.

If you can afford it and can justify the higher costs for your needs then that's great, but if you live more in the real world of struggle street and have a family and a world where things all take your money, settling for something more cost effective can be just as reliable in many cases and the extra $350 saved can buy your kids some new clothes :)

alfiebuttons

Post by alfiebuttons » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:40 am

Hi guys.

Thanks for this.

In the end I opted for a Plugable TB3 Dock.

Nitvyesyecbyrt but it seems well built and decent ratings. Cost me £125.

Cheers,

Alex.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Pluggable is a good brand too, prior to my TS3 I was using their usb3 hubs for years with no issues.

alfiebuttons

Post by alfiebuttons » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:27 pm

This is good news Tarekith