Push 1 knob malfunctioning

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Punky921

Push 1 knob malfunctioning

Post by Punky921 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:35 pm

Hey guys,

So I almost never use my Push. It has sat in its box in my closet for most of its life. However, it's quarantine time, so I took it out to play around with it and kill some time.

Unfortunately, it appears that the Push's third knob from the left isn't working right. I'm not sure what's wrong. It registers my touch, but when I twist it, it doesn't increase / decrease related parameter in Ableton smoothly. Instead, when I twist it, the parameter value jumps up and down. It's weird. Here's a video of it happening.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpou38l83jswu ... 2.mp4?dl=0

I've tried using the external power supply, not using the external power supply, using different USB cables, using a USB hub, not using a USB hub, rebooting the unit, rebooting Live, etc. Doesn't seem to make an impact. I'm guessing this is a hardware issue.

Is there any way to fix this short of popping the Push open, unsoldering the knob, and soldering in a replacement?

And if not, has anyone created a tutorial on how to do that?

springverb

Re: Push 1 knob malfunctioning

Post by springverb » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 am

if you open Push, there are 2 ribbon cables running from the main board to the top board. you can remove them (it just disconnects the pots) and see if it still malfunctions or not (by turning on record automation or from the display itself)

else, welcome to the paperweight club :( . i have the same issue and have tried everything from ableton support to akai and all forums but nothing worked.

Punky921

Re: Push 1 knob malfunctioning

Post by Punky921 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Dang. It's not a paperweight yet - it doesn't just randomly send junk data. That one knob is just broken.