Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
AlexJoKeys

Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Post by AlexJoKeys » Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello all,

So I don't know if I've found a bug or a feature issue?

If I play my 'performance' its completely fine - If I hit record (to get a session recording) of my push/clip performance, I can no longer play 'over' a clip - as if the record 'arm' is off.

Basically, when not recording, I can play in a drum groove on a MIDI pad, loop a synth then while not 'recording' continue to add 'fills' over the drum pattern. If I hit record, I can only hear the playing grove and not play 'fills' over the top?

I was kinda expecting it to just record all the MIDI playing back into the session view but it seems if a clip/track is playing, you cant freestyle over it?

scheffkoch

Re: Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Post by scheffkoch » Mon May 11, 2020 8:42 pm

...unfortunately no…to be exact you can but without listening to it while in record mode…
macbook pro late 2018, osx 10.14.6, rme multiface via sonnet thunderbolt expresscard adapter + thunderbolt to usb-c adapter, ableton live 10.1.7, push 2, komplete 9, maschine 2.9.2, touchable

AlexJoKeys

Re: Performance recording issue - can't 'play over' while recording?

Post by AlexJoKeys » Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks for the reply!

My workaround for this is to have duplicated tracks...

So I have two MIDI tracks hosting the same drum rack - one of them is 'always on' - recording in the session view but it lives off my push view so it doesn't get targeted for clip recording.

It means I can 'hear' and 'play over' during recording (while another clip is looping..etc) - Its not ideal and slightly annoying that the level is of course double temporarily but at least for recording a live push performance I can get through it then deal with the doubles..etc in mix down.