My other DAW makes better use of Push

Discuss Push with other users.
dna598

My other DAW makes better use of Push

Post by dna598 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am

I get more use out of Push in Reaper than Live these days.

Mainly due to VST's being immediately mapped for use.

This really shouldn't be the case.

I hope they sort it out.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Mark Williams

Re: My other DAW makes better use of Push

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 am

Its not hard to map them. 2 minute job done.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Mark Williams wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 am
You can also turn on mapping and change preset for instant mapping of all the parameters, instead of doing it manually.

As i said though, for some reason Reaper does it better, and this really shouldn't be the case.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue May 19, 2020 2:09 pm

dna598 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:15 pm
Mark Williams wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 am
You can also turn on mapping and change preset for instant mapping of all the parameters, instead of doing it manually.

As i said though, for some reason Reaper does it better, and this really shouldn't be the case.
Hardly a chore is it?
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 pm

No It isn't, but that's not the only thing Reaper does better with Push.

For example, In ableton, you cannot even adjust parameters on Send fx while playing a separate midi track. Negating the use of this £600 controller for a basic live "dub" mix .

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=200062

These examples just lend an unfinished, under developed nature to Push with Ableton, whilst some dude in his bedroom working for free can get it working better on another DAW. So it might not be a chore, but It's not good enough in the grand scheme of things.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 am

I agree this can be seen as kind of lame, a bit. And it’s always relevant to mention things like that imho, even if it doesn’t take long to « fix » in Live.
Ableton Forum Moderator

dna598

Post by dna598 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Hey jur thanks for the moral support.
Unfortunately the thread I linked above is 7 years old and goes back to the Push 1, so it's taking rather long to "fix" anything.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm

My "long to fix" was a reference to Mark's remark, because I haven't read the linked topic. I'll have a look at it.
So it's about things that are still relevant with Push2?
Ableton Forum Moderator

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:17 pm

[jur] wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm
So it's about things that are still relevant with Push2?
Yes, in both cases I mentioned. (Lack of VST automapping and inability to play midi (on Push pads) and control fx on another track simultaneously).

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 pm

VST automapping works fine here, but I alter them to my own taste, as for autofocus, thats the same for every controller I have used including those from Novation & NI within Ableton & Maschine.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:01 pm

VST auto mapping works SOME of the time, and the way "autofocus" works is a hindrance.

An armed channel should remain armed, unless it is disarmed. Every basic midi keyboard does this, but the Push does not. You need to reach for your keyboard once you select a return, as the pads go dead. It's dumb. It kills work flow stone dead. I had to buy a keyboard just to get over this. So, Push is not even a stand alone device (in Ableton).

I assume it is not too complicated for the average Live user to wrap their head around having the pads remain active on an armed channel, while the display is showing a selected return track. Is it?

Over the years, this has been picked up by official admins, and promises made to look into it. Every time, the admins agree on the problem, themselves calling it lame and an appropriate fix, while some users strangely defend these shortcomings, and no progress is made.

Hats off to the home brew devs.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun May 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Everyones workflow is different, what works for you, doesnt work for me etc. As already mentioned, autofocus works same on all Ableton controllers that I have used, its the Ableton way, instead of trying to fight it, why not go with it, its all a question of the right mental attitude, towards learning, some can, some cannot adjust.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pm

Have you never recorded a pass while adjusting feedback on the delay FX return (for example)?

That's a basic and common producer move. It can't be done from Push alone in one pass. The pads go blank when the return is selected, and you gotta do 2 passes. One for notes, and one for automation. No spontaneity.
Is that how you like to work? In multiple laborious stages? Or do you think one recording pass with midi and automation simultaneously, is better?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 pm

It's the reason I've created my own controller setup and scripts. I need to control several tracks at once and this track lock thing is alien and unpleasant. Push is also very expensive so I've never been tempted to try and switch to the "through the letterbox" method that Ableton prefer. It's very restrictive.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm

dna598 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pm
Have you never recorded a pass while adjusting feedback on the delay FX return (for example)?

That's a basic and common producer move. It can't be done from Push alone in one pass. The pads go blank when the return is selected, and you gotta do 2 passes. One for notes, and one for automation. No spontaneity.
Is that how you like to work? In multiple laborious stages? Or do you think one recording pass with midi and automation simultaneously, is better?
Nope, but then again I use hardware FX or a specific plugin controller for that :)