Push2 vs Midi Keyboard

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
tamerelderini

Push2 vs Midi Keyboard

Post by tamerelderini » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi All ,
I am new to the music production , i have Live 10 and Launchkey Midi Keyboard , and was thinking of buying a Push2 and i need your opinion if it is worth it or having the midi keyboard is enough since i am already a piano player so i can easily make the notes and even the drum rack from the midi , so would i still need the push 2 for better and easy EDM production of the midi can do knowing that i dont do live performance . thank you

S4racen

Re: Push2 vs Midi Keyboard

Post by S4racen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:24 pm

Push 2 is awesome for sequencing an controlling modulation, the screen really comes into it's own, but if you're playing live then it's not essential in my opinion...

Cheers
D

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:45 pm

It's more true the other way around.

If you have a Push only, you'll likely soon find out you need a midi keyboard to go with it.

The keyboard is necessity, the Push is a luxury.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Tig

Post by Tig » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Reason for getting a Push, if you already have a keyboard (depends on the keyboard of course):

1. Quick navigation/usage of the Scenes.
2. The awesome sequencer functionality.
3. Mixing in real time. Parameter, automation adjustment.
4. Great pads for drums.
5. Paired with the keyboard, removes the need to look at your PC, while using Push.

Funny, I am thinking of getting a new keyboard to better pair with my Push. I have the M32, and having the transport nav control there as well as the Push is awesome! The workflow is quick using both at the same time - having record start and undo on both is great.

I very much recommend the Push as it brings Ableton to your hands in a way the keyboard can not. But, as another said, a keyboard is the absolute necessary first purchase.