Bought a Push 2 used. It's arriving soon. Seller informed me he is not sure of specs of PSU he's been using. Problem?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
yeebiy

Bought a Push 2 used. It's arriving soon. Seller informed me he is not sure of specs of PSU he's been using. Problem?

Post by yeebiy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:54 am

I see that the Push 2 requires 12v and at least 1,250 mA. Seller is using a PSU that is not the original one and has now informed me that he doesn't know the specs of the PSU. I'm going to buy the correct PSU for it.

My question for the forum is this: if the Push 2 works fine when I receive it, does that mean I'm in the clear? Or is it possible that it's been damaged from the old PSU (assuming the PSU was not the correct specs) and that the damage can be latent, i.e., the Push works fine now but craps out on me in like two months from damage from the old PSU? I bought it from him online, so I have a few days to return it once I check it out to see if works fine. Just want to hear from the forum if it's a "you see what you get kind of thing." Like, if everything works fine, then I can rest easy that it has not been damaged by an incorrect PSU.

Hopefully that makes sense. Kinda, like a car: it might drive great when I test drive it but there is a non-obvious defect that will rear its head on 3 months because of the previous owner doing something stupid like using the wrong oil or something.

miyaru

Re: Bought a Push 2 used. It's arriving soon. Seller informed me he is not sure of specs of PSU he's been using. Problem

Post by miyaru » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 am

I would order a new one from ableton HQ......

You will find it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/merchandise/
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, Live Suit 10, Push2, Reason Suite 11, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

yeebiy

Re: Bought a Push 2 used. It's arriving soon. Seller informed me he is not sure of specs of PSU he's been using. Problem

Post by yeebiy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Yes I'm going to order a new one but what I'm wondering is whether there could be damage that rears its head later from the previous use of an incorrect PSU (if it was incorrect). Or is it more the case that if everything works fine when I try out the Push, then that means there is no damage and I can rest easy.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:14 am

I can't tell you if a different PSU causes problems in the long run, but I think if it works OK now, it will do in the future too........
Greetings from Miyaru.

Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, Live Suit 10, Push2, Reason Suite 11, Presonus Eris E8, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Korg R3, NI Massive, Rob Papen's Predator 2, Sonarworks Reference 4 and Scaler.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:38 pm

Not worth the risk IMO. If you use the wrong PSU it could fry the unit as soon as you turn it on, and then your brand new Push will be broken for good.
Ableton Forum Administrator

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 pm

If it’s been working, it’s probably fine but as I typically suggest, if you have to ask the question with these things, best to ditch that P/S and get an official one.

Those that understand voltage, current, polarity of the connector etc will be just fine with anything suitable. It’s a common power supply and nothing special but not everyone owns a multimeter or experience in what to look out for.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:46 pm
If it’s been working, it’s probably fine but as I typically suggest, if you have to ask the question with these things, best to ditch that P/S and get an official one.

Those that understand voltage, current, polarity of the connector etc will be just fine with anything suitable. It’s a common power supply and nothing special but not everyone owns a multimeter or experience in what to look out for.
This.
Ableton Forum Moderator