[push 2] Melodic step sequencer with a drum rack

Discuss Push with other users.
vokinpirks

[push 2] Melodic step sequencer with a drum rack

Post by vokinpirks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi!
I wonder if there is a way to step sequence a drum pattern using the melodic step sequencer (the one which is available for all non-drum rack MIDI tracks).
I find it much more convenient and suitable in some circumstances than the loop selector because you have a "bird's-eye view" over a drum pattern.
For example, a basic breakbeat kick-snare pattern would look something like this on the Push 2's pad grid (assuming a kick is on the first drum rack's pad (the eighth row) and a snare is on the second one (the seventh row) and the rhythmic resolution of the step sequencer is set to 1/16):

Page1__Page2__Page3__Page4
-------- -------- -------- --------
----x--- ----x--- ----x--- ----x--- (snare)
x------- --x----- x-----x- -x------ (kick)

Sure, the pads containing drum hits would be colored to their corresponding drum rack's pad color and step automation would be avaialble as always too by holding a step pad.
Any suggestions how this can be achieved? Is this possible at all? If not, would you like to have such a layout on Push 3 or even Push 2? What are your thought on this? Am I missing something? Tbh I'm a bit confused why this isn't implemented yet. Looks like a pretty obvious feature to me.
An obsessive knob twiddler