Overdub in session mode

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
SonicCube

Overdub in session mode

Post by SonicCube » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Hi guys, just wondering, is it possible to overdub effects in session mode? If so how's it done please?

I'm really new to this so I grabbed my clip from the other mode and pasted it into session mode but when I use the overdub in session mode it just overdubs the tiny clip. I want to be able to sort of overdub the entire sequence of looped clips. I hope this makes sense. As I say I'm really new to this so sorry if my question is super dumb.
TIA.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Overdub in session mode

Post by [jur] » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 am

Audio or midi clip?
Just to be sure: you have a e.g 1 bar long looping clip, but you want to overdub over let's say 4 bars i.e 4 iterations of the loop? Is that what you're asking for?
Ableton Forum Moderator

SonicCube

Post by SonicCube » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi, yeah that's it really. More concisely put than I did! :oops:

So, in essence want to be able to grab a clip put it into session then make that part go on for longer duration and overdub with effects.

SonicCube

Post by SonicCube » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:55 pm

Anyone?...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm

Audio or midi clip?
^^ which one dude?

Midi clips are simple, just drag the clip to a session clip slot then duplicate loop (Dupl. Loop) to make it 2x the length (copies whole clip and doubles the length):

There is also a "double" button on Push that does this double length function too. You cannot copy from Arrange to Session using Push tho.

Then do whatever you wanna do using overdub and effects and whatnot. Useful info in the manual if you have reading skills:

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/clip-view/

Audio clip, you need to create the length you want in Arrangement by just duplicating the clip, then consolidate as a single then you can copy that to session and apply effects and add clip automation

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:34 am

Sorry Sonicube, did see your answer.
As Jestermgee said for midi clips.
For audio there's the option to unlink the envelope start/end/loop time from the clip's one (that's also an option for midi clips of course). The buttons for this are in the clip envelope tab and are pretty obvious, you should find them.
Ableton Forum Moderator