Linking Push + midi keyboard to separate tracks?

Discuss Push with other users.
PhunnkMunk

Linking Push + midi keyboard to separate tracks?

Post by PhunnkMunk » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:07 am

so I've got both Push 2 and a Komplete Kontrol MIDI keyboard. from my experience so far, it seems that both control units get assigned to whatever track currently is selected to record - and sometimes it seems they switch to another when I merely select/highlight another track...

is there any way I can set each/either to "lock" to a particular track?

i.e. having the Push linked to a track with my drum rack, and the keyboard linked to a particular track with a synth on it - and I can just around to other tracks to do different work (such as tweak their plugins, automate, etc) without these two devices both automatically getting assigned to it.

would be excellent to have the Push ALWAYS set to the drum rack and keyboard to something different, only changing if I did it manually. seems like something basic that should be straightforward, though it seems there's no intuitive way to do this and haven't been able to find anything in the documentation either...

jestermgee

Re: Linking Push + midi keyboard to separate tracks?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:14 pm

Not possible. Anything that is a control surface cannot lock to a track and will follow your position in the session so push cannot lock to a track. Been asked for but not possible.

Aleksandr_Sudin

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Maybe select the certain controller from "MIDI From" of each track, but I suppose most likely you know it.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Doesn’t work with push

Trigonometrie

Post by Trigonometrie » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 am

Massive PITA: Only workaround I have found so far that keeps the push's auto select is writing a M4L device with a Max application that sends the keyboards midi over OSC. So you have an OSC receiver that converts osc to midi on the keyboard track in live and a max application that is converting the incoming midi from the keyboard to OSC and sends it to live.

PhunnkMunk

Post by PhunnkMunk » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 am

Aleksandr_Sudin wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:31 pm
Maybe select the certain controller from "MIDI From" of each track, but I suppose most likely you know it.
had my hopes up there, but nope.

doing that, still need the track selected on record - and then it's ONLY the MIDI controller selected. (i.e. keyboard, NOT keyboard and Push as would be otherwise).

ah well.

Aleksandr_Sudin

Post by Aleksandr_Sudin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm

PhunnkMunk wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 am
doing that, still need the track selected on record
You can select on record = "arm" a few tracks simultaneously with shift on keyboard. Sorry if my suggestions are stupid.

PhunnkMunk

Post by PhunnkMunk » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Aleksandr_Sudin wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm
PhunnkMunk wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:04 am
doing that, still need the track selected on record
You can select on record = "arm" a few tracks simultaneously with shift on keyboard. Sorry if my suggestions are stupid.

yeah, I'm aware of that.

though still, as moving around through my workflow doing different things on different tracks, they'll get unselected.

thus, your idea might work temporarily - if, for example, using on a live performance or for a certain session where most of the work is strictly being done with those 2+ interfaces/instruments. though still not a 'permanent assignment' type option that'd be unsusceptible to getting reset any time the record/arm gets shifted as doing something else in the workflow.

shall still note this in case it does end up being useful at some point, though. 🍻