PUSH 2 change scales.. maybe

Discuss Push with other users.
LarZ2

PUSH 2 change scales.. maybe

Post by LarZ2 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:37 pm

When I had Ableton 10, I used Clyphx to change scales on my Push 2
Now there is a new scale feature in every clip in Abe 11 that has all of that function.

I have 4 clips set to change scales on a track, and I am using push to control and External Instrument (synth)
If I click a clip, it will change the scale on Push 2. If I let the song play it shifts to next clip down, but Push does not change scales.
All of the information I have seen says Ableton 11 does this for Push, but they don't explain how it works.

I want Push 2 to follow the chord changes just like it did with Clyphx. It looks like everything is there, and it works when you change clips with the mouse.
But let the song play and let it move to the next clip, and Push stays on the same scale.

Anybody else have this issue.
LarZ

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: PUSH 2 change scales.. maybe

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:23 pm

In Session or Arrangement?
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Actually, it works in both views, the thing though is that the clip has to be selected manually either with the mouse or from Push's Session grid for the scales to follow.
If you're using e.g Follow Actions, other clips are triggered but not selected, that's why the scale don't update on Push.
Ableton Forum Moderator

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:49 pm

That sucks..
Push is an amazing device and the ability to play scales coordinated with chord changes is the best thing about it for me.
I can play synth leads with ease and never hit a bad note. Clyphx, can follow the clips and change Push scales to fit the chords.

Now they made this great improvement to Abe 11 to include this function in the clip, BUT I have to trigger every clip with the mouse! #$%^!!
How could they leave out something like that !! It just makes no sense; Here is this great new functionality, but it only works on one clip at a time.
That's worthless. If my song has four chords, I have to trigger each one with the mouse to make Push change chords.
Now Clyphx doesn't work with 11, why did I ever pay to upgrade to 11. ?
LarZ

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:56 am

Am I the only one that has run into this. I thought that everyone would be using the scale and follow action in the clip to play Push 2 in the right key for every chord change. That's an amazing invention, but it only works for one scale at a time. :roll: Has anyone else found a workaround???
LarZ

scheffkoch

Post by scheffkoch » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:18 am

https://www.soundmanufacture.net/scaleomat/

...i have this m4l device...works like a charm...🤙
macbook pro m1pro, macos monterey, rme multiface via sonnet echo express se I, push 2, faderfox mx12, xone:k2

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am

Yea, That software looks great. Will it work with Ableton 11 and Push2 ????? :?:
If not, I have no choice but to go back to Abe 10.
If Abe 11 can't make the Push 2 scales follow the chord progression, I cannot play synth saxaphone. Game Over.. :roll:
LarZ

ivanohe

Post by ivanohe » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:01 pm

I found the same thing than you. I was trying to use follow action to have push changing scale automatically for live improvisation. Turn out it can't change while you play. It would really be a nice feature if this could be fixed : this would give a nice integration without having to use m4l plugins or other solution.

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 am

Follow action will advance to the next clip, but not change the PUSH scales !@#$%. That's really a bummer. With Abe 10 and Clyphx, that worked.
I can't believe that they left that part out, what a blunder. I wrote to Abe11 support to ask for a work around for PUSH scales. I also said that I could not believe that they dis-abled clyphx, and did not make anything to replace it. Guess what, No answer on that one... I also wrote to sales support and asked for a refund on my purchase of 11, No answer on that one either.

I'm trying to re-write my songs to stay in one key for lead parts, on some it works, on some it destroys the song.
I think we are stuck until some clever guy writes a PUSH plug in that makes this work like it should.
My workaround is to write each clip in one key, and when I need a scale change, advance to the next clip by pushing a button on my Launchpad Pro.
That works, but I like to let my loops play 16 or 32 bars, and improvise lead parts. Now I have to change clips every 4, 8, or 16 bars manually.
Either we are missing something here, or their software writers really poked the pork on this one.
LarZ

ivanohe

Post by ivanohe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 pm

I was using a m4l plugin name Scaleton (http://maxforlive.com/library/device/5167/push-scaleton) in live 10.
I just tried it with live 11 and it work in a scenario with follow action. You need to put it on the track you want to use push2 to jam along when using follow action.
In each clip that you have a different scale, you need to add automation for Scaleton. You can still set the clip scale in Ableton to match the Scaleton scale since this will make things more clean visually. Also, this will make your set "future proof" in case Ableton add this feature to push, you will be able to simply delete Scaleton and everything will still work.

I found that it is better this way (using Scaleton) than in live 10 since having the scale set in the clip help me visualize the note.

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am

Scaleton sounds like a great solution. I did find it, and downloaded.
I don't know how you made it work in 11? When I try to load or install it, I get the message "The device is not available in this version of Live" !@#$%^

Back to the beginning! If you are using Push 2 to improvise lead guitar, saxophone, and you have to change scales every 2, 4, or 8 bars on the Push, you might as well play a synth keyboard and use the flats and sharps.
I bought PUSH because it gives me only the right notes, without the confusion of sharps and flats. If it cannot follow the chord changes in the song, it is pretty worthless. :roll:
LarZ

ivanohe

Post by ivanohe » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:27 pm

I have Live suite 11.0.1 using the bundle max4live and Scaleton v1.2. Is it possible you have an external older version of max4live if you have live standard for example? Scaleton need max4live version 8 at minimum.

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:03 am

Sounds like a challenge to get the right version of Max. It's worth a try if it will make this thing work.
II have 11 standard. I don't own Max, just checked on the price, it's $319 US to upgrade to Suite, or $199 for Max.

I will have to check into it, or see if I can get a trail version of Max.
LarZ

aehaem

Post by aehaem » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:38 am

I wonder if you have checked "select on launch" in the preferences?
I am not at my music PC, so I cannot try it out, but maybe it can help?

LarZ2

Post by LarZ2 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:52 pm

Select on Launch was ON. I have tried everything. It is easy to make the clip change, but that will not change the scale on PUSH. This is a major software bug that makes 11 worthless to me. Anybody :idea:
LarZ