Finger Drumming

Discuss Push with other users.
Rossas78

Finger Drumming

Post by Rossas78 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:27 pm

Hello out there,
I´m using Ableton live 10 lite (version 10.1.9) with the Novation Launchpad mini mk3. A few days ago, I saw, that I´m able to start with finger drumming.
So I was searching YouTube videos to this topic wich can help me to figure out how to start. But I can´t find a video. I saw some guys wich used another software to start, but nobody said, how to do that step by step. So now I´m here.
Can somebody give me an advice, when possible, a step-by-step-instruction, how to start finger drumming in Ableton? I already have some packs with one-shot-sounds, with I could use to work.
Thanks for your advices
Rossas78

Tarekith

Re: Finger Drumming

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Check out the Melodics website, I thnk they have some Ableton related finger drumming classes.

https://melodics.com
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Rossas78

Post by Rossas78 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi Tarekith,
thank you for your Link. It looks like Melodics is an aplication with costs. I´d like to do finger drumming in my Ableton-software. Have you also a tip how to start finger drumming in Ableton? Maybee a video from YouTube or something like this?
Thanks
Rossas

monnomme

Post by monnomme » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:30 am

What's up friend? I'd say to finger drum you need to create a MIDI track which allows you to trigger your drum sound source from your MIDI device. In my case, I am using a small MIDI keyboard to trigger an external drum synth. They 'talk' to each other through the MIDI track, which is made possible by establishing the right MIDI cable connections and choosing the right settings in the preferences menu.

I double-click an empty slot under the MIDI track. Then I turn off the 'loop' in the settings at the bottom of the screen, and extend the length area to, say, 32 bars. I setup the click to have a count-in, then I free drum without a click.

Without having the click, one will easily drift off-meter. I am really lazy, so I haven't really tested out how to salvage my finger drumming, but I figure I can cut loops from the good moments. I am thinking about how I can use this approach to then develop drums that have a fair bit of variation on the attack. I am compelled by the idea that the best immediate results would be from a continuous performance. Maybe I should set the length parameter to 1,000 bars. I think capturing live performed drums is a great way to get away from the mechanical feel which might come from painting in the hits directly in the piano roll.

One issue further is how to deal with tempo in Ableton. If I have a MIDI link to my synth and can start jamming, it soon leads to fresh cool beats. I then just want to hit 'record' and capture the magic. But I'm worried about downstream audio production issues if I am not careful about setting the tempo correctly, so as to correctly capture my drumming performance.