Need help! - new user playing drum rack on push 2

Discuss Push with other users.
cbr10

Need help! - new user playing drum rack on push 2

Post by cbr10 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:37 pm

Hi!

I just got a push 2 and am using it on Macbook pro OS Big Sur with Ableton live 11. I am learning about playing the drum rack and just watched the "step sequencing beats video" on the learn push page of the Ableton website. I was able to load my drum rack, but when I played on the 4x4 grid in the bottom left corner of the push pads I ran into a problem. For some reason the first and third columns of the 4x4 push pad drum rack will also play the sound on the same row in the second and 4th columns. Basically one push pad plays two sounds, rather than each push pad being assigned to its own sound. When I press a push pad on the second and fourth column that should connect to its own sound in the drum rack, I don't get any sound.

I feel like there is a simple solution in the settings that I am missing. If anyone knows the answer to this problem I would be grateful for the assistance!

Thanks very much!

jestermgee

Re: Need help! - new user playing drum rack on push 2

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:53 am

Depends on how the kit is mapped to the pads. Some kits you load are designed around a keyboard so exclude the black keys and use only the white which means when you use Push some will be blank. Some will just load the same sample onto the white/black keys so there is something there

Have you tried a different kit? What is the kit you are using? If you open the actual drum rack can you see which cell you are triggering and is there a sample loaded on it? Does it have the same name as another cell (same sample)?

cbr10

Post by cbr10 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:38 pm

Thank you for the reply. The problem persists for all the kits that I have tried. The one I have loaded right now is the Glas kit. Yes, I can see which cells I'm triggering when I press a pad. There are samples (sounds?) loaded on each of the cells and I know because when I press one with my mouse I can hear the instrument playing. When I press a pad on that first column of the 4x4 grid two cells trigger along with their corresponding samples. All the cells have different names. For example, when I press the pad corresponding to the "cabasa 60s vinyl" cell it also triggers the cell to the immediate right, "perc buttoned," and the corresponding pad for the "perc buttoned" cell also lights up on my push.

It's like the one pad is functioning for two of the cells, but I need to change it so that each pad plays its own sample.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Maybe you have the sensitivity settings too high, press setup on Push 2 and try different settings.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

cbr10

Post by cbr10 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 pm

Yes, the way the notes map to the pad has me really confused. It's still a big problem for the drum rack when I switch to the loop selector layout because I can't isolate one sound using the push.