Is my Push 2 broken?

Discuss Push with other users.
nanoverb

Is my Push 2 broken?

Post by nanoverb » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:32 pm

It worked fine when I first got it about 2 years ago, but I put it away on a shelf for a few months and now it is all messed up. Nothing happened to it and I didn't change anything in Live.
I tried to contact Ableton but they have no technical support anymore you just get sent to the FAQ page.
Do I own a thousand dollar paper weight?
I just want to know if I can fix it myself or if I need to send it somewhere? I don't care what it costs, I just want it working again. My son is really sad that our music toy is broken :-(

Here is a video showing the issue, thank you in advance to anyone at all that takes the time to help.

https://youtu.be/lCxcoLCjUtY

miyaru

Re: Is my Push 2 broken?

Post by miyaru » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 pm

I do not know how repairable they are....... If you do not mind what it cost, buy a new one......... :(

High costs, but no worries.

And maybe they are flashable with good working firmware. I guess your firmware is messed up.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Hi miyaru, thanks for responding I really appreciate you taking the time.

When I said I don't mind the costs, I was referring to Ableton charging me to send it to a repair center. I'm not some rich dude that can toss a thousand dollar machine in the trash and just go buy the same thing again that broke for no reason what so ever.

As for your firmware suggestion, here on the Ableton site, they say that the firmware gets updated automatically once its connected.
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... update-win

Maybe there is a way to force a fresh firmware update but I can't seem to find a method online to do that. Google and YouTube searches gave me nothing useful.

I did notice that the unresponsive buttons didn't even light up the midi signal indicator in live. I also tried this Push unit on 2 separate computers with fresh installs and got the same results. What could possibly cause this, it was just sitting on a shelf in my office, it's not like I ever leave my house! 8O

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:17 pm

First thing I would do is reinstall Live. Update to the latest version of 10 if you haven’t. I’m pretty sure that little light stays on with my Push after closing Live. These things are so well built, I’d bet your issue is on your computer not the Push. Good luck and keep us posted!

Also, maybe you missed this contact page, it’s buried.

https://www.ableton.com/en/contact-us/
Doug

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Doug,

I have tried doing a fresh install of Live 10 on two separate computers and got the same result on both.

As for the Live support page, when I click on the "Submit your technical support request" link
https://help.ableton.com/hc/requests/ne ... _id=127269

The form screen pops up for a slit second and then I get bumped back to the "Knowledge Base" page.

I even tried halting the browser to force it to stay on the form page, but when I submitted my request I got an access denied screen.

At this point I have no way of contacting anyone at all to tell me if this thing is broken or not. I still hope that it is a software issue but that is seeming less likely the more things I try.

I just wish I had some way to contact Ableton, any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'd also like to mention is that I have been a Live user since version 1.0 Yes I have that original green box with an install disk in it that I bought way back in 2001.

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:47 pm

The contact page works for me here, as a matter of fact I contacted them a week ago and I did get an auto response but solved the problem myself.

Maybe try another browser or computer?

I get this page - https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/reque ... _id=127269
Doug

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 pm

I have this Push2 diagnostic tool. Send me a private message with your email, and I will use Wetransfer to get it to you. There is a manual in the zip file too, read that well before using the tool.......
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:27 pm

You can contact Ableton at support@ableton.com too.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:52 pm

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply guys!

As for the technical support page bumping me to the knowledge base page. Normally I use Chrome but as you suggested I loaded up the Edge browser that came with windows 10 and it did the same thing, bumped me right to the knowledge base page. And yes that link you posted Doug it does the same thing, shows the form for a split second and bumps me to the knowledge base. Must have something to do with my location in Canada, dunno?

I sent an email to the support@ableton.com address you gave me and they did send a confirmation back that they will take a look eventually.

While I'm waiting on that I'll send a message to miyaru to try that diagnostic tool :-)

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 pm

I have send it to you, but be carefull, read the instructions first!!!!

It can check things on your push though.

:D
Greetings from Miyaru.

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:08 pm

Thanks!
I have the Diagnostic Tool up and running, but I don't see an instruction file anywhere in the folders?
The only thing I found was the legal stuff.
Can you send the instructions directly to my email?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:34 pm

I saw what you mean, I will look for it asap!

In the meantime did you connect push to one of your pc's with the tool already and do the button test? That won't harm your push.

In the meantime it is close to midnight here in the Netherlands, I will look for the file in the morning.

n the meantime check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dSg4J-zbA
Greetings from Miyaru.

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 am

Here is an image of the diagnostic I did. I was pushing really hard on the pads. I might be able to make a few more light up green but I don't want to press any harder, something is obviously broken. The ones showing zero did nothing at all so it seems that 11 are completely dead.

I don't understand how this could happen, it worked perfectly a couple months ago! I put it on a shelf in a cabinet over my desk, completely safe, and now this? WTF?

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:52 am

I've done the test too, and all works - the pads go up to 127 nicely too.

I would suggest depending on the age:

If it is three years or younger - got to the retailer you bought it from and ask him/her for repair - it is not likely an expensive product like this should fail within three years or so.

If it is older turn your attention to Ableton, write them again with a repair request.

If you bought it from Ableton direct ask them for a repair anyway!

It has been a while before this test that I did the test, but this is all it can do. In your case it is enough - your Push2 is broken...... :cry:

I know there are methods to start your Push where it shows firmware stuff etc. , but I have to find out how to do it. I'm at it the moment, and as soon as I find it, I will post it here!
Greetings from Miyaru.

nanoverb

Post by nanoverb » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Firmware 1.0 Build 71