A letter to Ableton - ditch the touch strip

Discuss Push with other users.
panten

A letter to Ableton - ditch the touch strip

Post by panten » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Dear Ableton,
Please for everyone's sanity consider an alternative to the touch strip on the next iteration of the Push. The touch strip is horrible to use to the point that I never use it. I would MUCH prefer a decent fader. While I'm at it, please add in a quality cross fader.

Regards,
Panten

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: A letter to Ableton - ditch the touch strip

Post by [jur] » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:29 pm

I have to +1 you on the touch strip...
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:03 pm

Sadly it is my only complaint on an otherwise great piece of gear. Definitely not up to the standards of the rest of the unit.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:27 pm

+1
Would've been useful as a per-track volume fader or something useful, but it's too damn long and glitchy to use as a mod/pitch control. Was woefully under-utilised on Push 1 and nothing really changed with P2.
Drum Rack scrolling is laughable too - pretty much none of the kits exceed 16 pads.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:54 pm

Two things here: what it would do and how.
A cross-fader - or a fader maybe. There's plenty of use for "mod fader" as long as it does what it should, and if it does not spring back, you could make it cross-fade instead, too.

A non-mechanical solution such as a touchstrip - if it met industry standards - would be great for plenty more things if lit up. Think of knob vs encoder.

login

Post by login » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:12 pm

a modulation stick would be better, as in the modal synths

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:13 pm

1000%++++

add fix stuck pads notes to the list among others things to address lol

bobtronic

Post by bobtronic » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:06 am

I actually like it. Mostly use it as pitch bend or ribbon controller on soft synths.

dcjams

Post by dcjams » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:29 pm

I assumed mine was broken until I realised it just felt nasty and was awkward to use

anthonyg

Post by anthonyg » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:46 pm

I'm not loving the touch strip, but I'm also not sure if that's because it's faulty or not.

I feel like mine is maybe faulty, I have to have my finger almost flat to the touch strip and touch it with a whole section of my finger (the whole part from the tip to the first joint). it seems if less of my finger touches it it ignores me.

Can you press your touch strip with the tip of your finger or do you need to use more of your finger?

panten

Post by panten » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:45 am

My Push 2 and Push 1 behave the same way.. it’s not faulty, that’s just the poor design and cheap components that are used.

Push as a concept is fantastic but the component choice is highly questionable. On both models the ‘non-pad’ buttons have missed the mark, and ironically pushing them is the least favourite aspect of using these devices.

On Push 1 the function buttons felt squishy and due to the switch underneath sitting central it created a kind of see-saw action. That would mean often you pressing down fully but not triggering the switch. Reminded me of the zx spectrum’s squishy keys.

On Push 2 the covering on the function buttons causes the buttons to feel less tactile. I will often aim for a button but miss because there’s a lack of touch/tactile feedback on the fingertips.

I might be alone on this but I own an Octatrack and absolutely love the buttons on that device. Even though they’re noisy in a clackety hollow way. I very rarely miss a button that I’m aiming for.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:23 pm

agreeed touchstrip not needed, its just in the way to accidentally trigger with your palms.

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:35 am

agreed the touchstrip should be removed, or highly retooled to be something more useable. removing it would save some real estate on the machine, ive always wished the push were a little more portable