apc40 channel 4 fader issue

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
DigitalThieves

Re: apc40 channel 4 fader issue

Post by DigitalThieves » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Same thing starting happening to me on my MASTER fader. Very annoying.
I'll try the old WD40 trick and see if it helps.

DigitalThieves

Post by DigitalThieves » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:15 pm

Still acting twitchy grrrrr

Q&A

Post by Q&A » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:29 am

DigitalThieves wrote:Same thing starting happening to me on my MASTER fader. Very annoying.
I'll try the old WD40 trick and see if it helps.
Don't Use WD40!

I can't say for sure that it will harm it, but i can't imagine how it would help.

The spray contact lube is specifically for certain types of potentiometers. I recall learning that you can damage some, like on a Mackie VLZ type mixer....My old Mackie VLZ mixer to be certain..

Use dielectric grease.

You would find these products at Radio Shack or similar electronics store.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:30 am

Yep

Do NOT use WD40 or oil of any kind. It may initially work but after a bit it will cause your faders to stick and eventually cause them to become shagged real quick.

Dust egress into faders combined with the small amounts of carbon that get shaved off the tracks when you use the sliders will eventually combine with some moisture and create "shorts" on the tracks which can cause phantom movements. Using the proper cleaners will help the slider to clean the tracks as they work but as the tracks start to deteriorate it is a downward spiral.

Anything with sliders should be covered whenever possible when not in use and occasionally a small blast of compressed air (not at too high pressure) in the slider track can keep em going for a while.

I use to dismantle the crossfader on my DJ scratch mixer every month or so because it would get so worn so quick. I managed to keep it going on an old Numark mixer for about 4 years before it needed replacing and I put that fader through hell spitting alcohol laced saliva in that cock sucker when in the middle of some sets in my younger days where it would start acting up. You can open them and clean them if you know what you are doing but spit is only a good idea if you need it to work for an hour or so. After that you are screwed.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 am

Your faders are probably toast. I replaced faders 1 and 2 a few weeks ago on an APC exhibiting the same behavior. Takes about 45 minutes. No big deal if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Here is the replacement part: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALP ... 2bSQ%3d%3d

Or shit, mail the APC to me and I'll fix it for you. :D

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Just as an FYI, since these faders are likely toast and need to be replaced, if you ever need to sprasy something into these types of faders I suggest DeoxIT Faderlube:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-DeoxIT ... 1134931.gc

dmyra

Post by dmyra » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 am

subsynth wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:03 pm
This happened to me as well.

You can buy replacements on mouser for much cheaper than mpcstuff.

688-RS45112A400G
RS45112A400G
ALPS Slide Potentiometers
10 KOhms 20%

You'll want a fairly high wattage for your soldering iron too.
Bro i have the apc40 mkII, trying to figure out the generic part number. i need at least 5 faders. and that mpc place is kind expensive right. how can i find this out? the resellers say they are different on the mk2