Using 2 apc40 mk2 at same time

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
kalokoroteke

Using 2 apc40 mk2 at same time

Post by kalokoroteke » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:07 pm

Hello, I have a group with a friend and we want to use two controllers at the same time, being able to affect the same elements at the same time. When connecting the other controller, it appears as an extension of the first, with #1 controlling channels 1 to 8 and #2 9 to 16. What I want is for both to control 1 to 8. Ideally, #2 would be a clone of the first, and that the channel and midi notes were the same. Can someone help me with this?

Edit: Apparently when the project has more than 8 channels ableton runs the two controllers as one but when it has more it runs them separately. How could I make this not happen?

kalokoroteke

Re: Using 2 apc40 mk2 at same time

Post by kalokoroteke » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 pm

I have tried to duplicate the script and change its name but it has not worked either. Ableton doesn't answer me because it only has the lite version and akai technical service hasn't answered me for weeks. Any help will be welcome

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:29 pm

No idea if this is supposed to work as it's been a long time since I didn't check the various APC functionalities , but how do the 2 units appear in Live's midi Preferences window? Are they each using a dedicated Control Surface slot?
Ableton Forum Moderator

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:30 pm

kalokoroteke wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:07 pm
When connecting the other controller, it appears as an extension of the first, with #1 controlling channels 1 to 8 and #2 9 to 16.
As far as I can remember, this is the expected behavior.
Ableton Forum Moderator

kalokoroteke

Post by kalokoroteke » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:44 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:29 pm
No idea if this is supposed to work as it's been a long time since I didn't check the various APC functionalities , but how do the 2 units appear in Live's midi Preferences window? Are they each using a dedicated Control Surface slot?

Thanks for answering Jur,
now I have it on the Akai APC40 MKII control surface and in input and output ableton assigns a #2 to one of them to differentiate them.

I have tried several things on it. I imagined that it could be solved there, I don't know if the problem was in how I did it, but it didn't work.
I tried to duplicate the apc script inside the midi script remote folder of program data/ableton and change the name, both to the file and inside the script to create another control surface, I got it, now I used two different control surfaces but did not work. I have no idea of ​​programming so I could have done something wrong and that's why it didn't work. Although I now managed to have two different control surfaces, they still functioned as extensions of each other.

The last thing Akai told me is that yes, by default the controller is going to be an extension of the other. 1 to 8 9 to 16

If the script could be modified so that it would not do that, it might be solved, but I have not the slightest idea and I always end up the same, frustrated :)

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 pm

Did you search here for APC40 remote scripts and/or hacks topics?
Back in the days I remember there were quite a lot of crazy discussions here with some crazy users hacking the device and offering many new options.
Ableton Forum Moderator

kalokoroteke

Post by kalokoroteke » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:07 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:57 pm
Did you search here for APC40 remote scripts and/or hacks topics?
Back in the days I remember there were quite a lot of crazy discussions here with some crazy users hacking the device and offering many new options.
Well it's been a while since then, every time I'm closer to the white whale but at the moment it keeps escaping from me. I got some master scripts I tried various things but no success. I tried to make each controller go with a different script because I think that with that I could solve it. If it didn't recognize it as the same controller, that might work, or I don't know, maybe there is a part of the code that indicates how the apc behaves when detecting another one. I tried downloading github scripts but none worked. I find myself with my limitation of not knowing how to program in python (in python or in any other really). I take this opportunity to say that if someone knows, I am willing to pay them for their work. Greetings