How to control returns with LaunchControl XL

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
CrazyManMichael

How to control returns with LaunchControl XL

Post by CrazyManMichael » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:53 pm

Hi,

While that does not happen very often, there are times when I'd really like to control returns (master, reverb, ...) with my Launchcontrol XL, not only standard tracks.

Up until now I did not managed to do this and could not find informations about this in these forums or through web search. I might not have used the correct keywords, though, since I'm not a native english speaker.

Thanks in advance for any pointer.

CMM

Greenapples2019

Re: How to control returns with LaunchControl XL

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi, you can midimap the LCXL to your master and return tracks and control them. If you still want to control 8 standard tracks you could set up a different user template so you have one user template for standard tracks and another for master/returns and switch between them.

I hope that makes sense?

CrazyManMichael

Post by CrazyManMichael » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I considered making a user template for this and I had a (admittedly) quick look at the tool (Component) to create or modify templates for the LaunchControl.

The problem is I could not find to which Live UI item I could map the "select track" button to in order to select the master track. Besides, as the other returns may vary depending on the project, this approach might not be what I'm looking for.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious or maybe I did not get you right?

Thank you anyway.

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi, you're welcome. It sounds like you may need something like Max For Live or ClyphX Pro where you can assign controllers to more parameters e.g. you can have a user profile where two faders are always mapped to returns A and B whichever project you open. CXP also allows you to map to the Master channel. I have a LCXL that controls my live set using midi mapping, M4L and ClyphX Pro e.g. I have 8 of the encoders that always map to 8 macros on whichever track is selected. You can also set buttons to do more than one action e.g. if you press and release the button immediately it could select the Master channel and if you press and release it slowly it could mute a group of tracks. It might take some work but you could get your LCXL to do pretty much anything, especially with 8 different user templates.

I hope that helps? I'm happy to try to answer any specific questions you have.

CrazyManMichael

Post by CrazyManMichael » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:17 pm

Thank you for those precisions.

While M4L is not an option for me (Live standard is largely sufficient for my needs and workflows) and ClyphX is still not compatible with Live 11, I've had a second look at isotonik LaunchControl XXL and it might meet my need indeed (don't know how I missed it on on the other day). I just asked them about Live 11.2 compatibility since this version's just been released.

Thanks again!

Greenapples2019

Post by Greenapples2019 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:38 am

You're welcome, ClyphX Pro works with Live 11 but is only in (a very stable) Beta version at the moment. If you go onto their facebook page you can sign up to be a tester. I've been using it with L11 for a few months now and had no issues. It's a bit of a pain it's not fully released yet but is definitely an option if you want to pursue it.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

CrazyManMichael

Post by CrazyManMichael » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi,

Oh, that's interesting !

For the record, I reached to Isotronik last night about the LaunchControl XXL script compatibility with the just published Live 11.2 version. The answer was short : « No idea, it’s just been released, no reports that it isn’t ». This gives me time if I want to invest the € 40 in this feature :lol: (I probably will).

Thank you for your friendly help. Have a nice day.

Quiet Erp

Post by Quiet Erp » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:30 am

CrazyManMichael wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:17 pm
I've had a second look at isotonik LaunchControl XXL and it might meet my need indeed (don't know how I missed it on on the other day). I just asked them about Live 11.2 compatibility since this version's just been released.
I bought the Isotonik XXL script a while ago & it works perfectly with all updates, currently 11.2.6. Can't recommend it highly enough. Always works. Confusing to set up, but once that's done its a set and forget job.
ps I don't work for Isotonik