MIDI issue- DEAD IN THE WATER! Help?

Discuss Live-ready controllers other than Push.
Beatzart

MIDI issue- DEAD IN THE WATER! Help?

Post by Beatzart » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:24 pm

TLDR; I'm a composer getting into soundtracks. I have all the expensive libraries (Albion etc) to do this and a degree in composition. I'm an outreach worker so I dont have money to throw around however. So - good computer (good enough)
quad i7 3.8GHZ with 32Ram and 1TB SSD
and what I think is an overlooked controller- the
M-audio Code 48

My PROBLEM is:

- I do not know how to properly set up the MIDI in both the controller, Ableton and the computer as at the moment to have a sound come out of the computer I must use 1, Omni, or MPE;
I usually use Omni or MPE depending on the articulations required. Obvious problem is that when I get to track 8 and want the brass to swell THE CONTROLLER CHANGES THE EXPRESSION FOR ALL TRACKS USING THIS INSTRUMENT! (Obviously "Instrument" means Kontakt or Opus etc.) So if I have 5 orchestral sections coming from Albion One, therefore all coming from Kontakt. when I put that swell in it changes all the Kontakt tracks.
I do not know which setting is correct or how to apply it in the applications, some help here would be awesome!

So to summarize:

Using an M-Audio Code49 with Ableton I can only set the instruments (Opus/Kontakt etc) themselves to MIDI Omni, MPE or only channel 1.
If I proceed logically and set one sound for channel 2 when it is either stacked simultaneously or is alone in a track[, then set a track input to channel 2 I get silence from the software instrument and in Ableton. Just silence. I can hear ppl saying RTFM for the Code - and I went through it and there is no plain English "this does that" part which seems to apply.

Since I don't even KNOW which setting I would need to change, and the description of MIDI functions in the M-Audio is so sparse it doesn't provide enough information to figure out what you need to change unless you already know enough to not need the manual in the FIRST place! ARG!
. I ASSUMED there would be something along the lines of "Assigning MIDI channels to specific tracks or instruments" (I know, who would EVER do something so bizarre with MIDI! - but nope.

So here I am, with 6 student films melting my SSD just trying to connect a midi channel to an Ableton track and the instrument associated with said track but if I use anything but Omni, MPE or 1 its silence

Any ideas are helpful. Even if its "you gotta figure out the keyboards settings" (even though they are likely identical in function to other keyboards and I could impute which keys perform which function if I only knew WHAT I am to accomplish.

Thank you in advance, you guys are great!!!