Flyswatter

Share your tracks with other users.
porfiry

Flyswatter

Post by porfiry » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:31 am

A little midwestern cheese-pop for all you electronic cats. Have your barf bag at hand.

0lder.mp3 - 5.26MB

As soon as you quit hugging the toilet, let me know exactly what you hate.

amigo

Re: Flyswatter

Post by amigo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:15 pm

That wasn't so bad :)

It has some really nice moments and I like the singers voice.

The production is not the best and I'm thinking it was recorded live due to some audible timing issues.
What exactly was done using Ableton Live?

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 pm

timing issues? like where?

anything specific wrong with the production?

the whole thing was recorded in ableton, not even close to live.

amigo

Post by amigo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 am

I just had a couple of more listens and the song is growing on me :)

I think the timing issues I spoke of are in fact a couple of layered sounds clashing around 2:05 and in the following breakdown.

The production issue could be genre specific as I am more used to the cleaner production style of EDM but I feel track has no real dynamic.

I do like where the vocal sits in the mix and the vocalists voice and style are great.

I'm glad that I gave it another listen. :)

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, a lot of the things I record are in the poppy 60s rock vein, which is a long way from most electronica. Not as far as you might think, though...this thing is all hashed together from loops, and the only things that are "real" about it are the vocals, guitar and harmonica. It's a testament to Ableton that it can whip up anything from the blippiest electronic mess all the way to something that sounds like a cheesy little band getting it on in a living room.

In fact I went quite a bit farther down that road with this song initially. This other version is meant to sound like the "band" all set up around a Victrola horn and cut this baby to 78. I learned an awful lot about EQing and room reverb, and how particular instruments tend to sound in such a context:

kwusty.mp3 - 5.28MB

That's what is so stupendous about Ableton, it's literally a science lab for sound. The effects just seem to have a more extreme sweep, from crystal clarity to total destruction. About 10 years ago I spent a long, long time recording an album in my spare time using Cubase, and the process was pure drudgery...incoherent interface, constant submixes to avoid processor hiccups...constant bullshit. (Of course the 266 G3 probably had something to do with it.) Ableton is like constant pleasure.

Except when I click on a MIDI clip in session view and do a Select All thinking I'm going to select all the MIDI notes...and instead it selects all the clips. :|

Anyway, there's my TMI for the year.

gesima

Post by gesima » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I really loved this. I came across this when I searched for any messages with the word 'rock' in the text and was drawn to this post when you said it was in a 60s vein.

I think the vocals are great and I really like the mellotron type sounds. You've also managed to make the drum machine blend in well. I'm no expert on mixing, I thought it sounds fine for the most part, I might have put the vocals higher in the mix just because I like them lots.

Have you done any other stuff?

gesima
http://soundcloud.com/gesima