In C (Terry Riley)

Share your tracks with other users.
Jeepee

In C (Terry Riley)

Post by Jeepee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi,

I stepped on this piece called In C, by Terry Riley. Found that funny, and well dedicated to Live, so I made one midi clip for each of the 53 patterns (see the score in attached file), plus the 4 notes used to set the tempo (which you can use or not, according to the author, in fact Live keeps the tempo going very well... so it's up to you).

What you get here is the score + the Live project with the 53 clips on one track. Read the score, duplicate the instrument, choose your VSTIs/AU/Live Instruments and effects and here you go !

Built with Live 8.1, I have not tested this with other versions. See if it works and enjoy.

Download zip file here (about 240 ko)

housemusiclover

Re: In C (Terry Riley)

Post by housemusiclover » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 am

Fucking awesome, can't believe nobody replied?! Thanks a lot, this is gonna be fun in conjunction with the APC.
Will be my "preset browsing and programming" template! :D

Saturnin79

Post by Saturnin79 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:58 pm

housemusiclover wrote:Fucking awesome, can't believe nobody replied?! Thanks a lot, this is gonna be fun in conjunction with the APC.
Thanks for leaving a comment. I didn't expect Terry Riley's music to please millions of Live users, but well, if you enjoy it, i'm pleased to have worked on it.

Enjoy !

Jeepee

Post by Jeepee » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Saturnin79 wrote:
housemusiclover wrote:Fucking awesome, can't believe nobody replied?! Thanks a lot, this is gonna be fun in conjunction with the APC.
Thanks for leaving a comment. I didn't expect Terry Riley's music to please millions of Live users, but well, if you enjoy it, i'm pleased to have worked on it.

Enjoy !
Sorry, didn't know i had two accounts. I'm Jeepee as well as Saturnin79. By the way, it seems somebody has done a M4L patch with this piece, if you're interested (can't remember where i saw that), but you're probably right : lots of fun with an APC (i had...). By the way, let's go for an add : there's a fantastic version of In C which you can get on itunes, for example, played by Bang on a Can. As these guys might sell less than Madonna, maybe they'd deserve a few bucks ?

JP

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Better late than never...

there is a realtime audio programming language called chuck (see http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu). A guy wrote a program to generate a version of In C with it. I have been tinkering with it for a while and wondered whether it could have been done in Live. I don't know how I missed this thread but now I'm intrigued again.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

elt.net

Post by elt.net » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 pm

thx a lot. :-)

login

Post by login » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 pm

wow, I am going to try this :D

heisenberg9

Post by heisenberg9 » Sat May 26, 2012 3:11 am

Posting my gratitude. In C is a work of herculean importance. Looking forward to working with this.

flagellum

Post by flagellum » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 am

Great idea and job with this - a hugely prescient work, but I'm afraid to say many of the clips are incorrect in terms of how the score has been read. For example grace notes should not add to metric time (clip 1 should be 3 beats in total not the 4.5 beats in this project), ties seem to have been ignored and also some dotted rhythms have been rendered incorrectly (e.g. clip 8 should be 6 + 4 + 4 beats not 2 + 2 + 2). Not that this (dare I say) really matters - the essence of the piece and its creative drive remains and I do like the played in quality to many of the clips. Quantization should be set to 1/8 as far as i can tell from score instructions. I'm rebuilding using follow actions so that the pieces can run generatively, I'll post if of any interest.
Thanks again.

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 pm

flagellum wrote:I'll post if of any interest.
definitely interested :D

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:17 pm

wow!! sick!!
in C is so amazing
i love the ACID MOTHERS TEMPLE'S version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvy90BRVKYg part1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_v2mV8MdEA part2
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

flagellum

Post by flagellum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 am

Well a quick and dirty version (with instructions) is available here.

http://www.miltonline.com/2013/09/09/all-at-in-c/

Hit scene 1 and they'll tumble through, I've weighted the follow actions to have on average more repeats on shorter phrases which makes sense musically. You can intervene, urging on any stragglers and holding back any clips forging too far ahead. You can of course ride volumes, edit instruments and send out effects to your ears' content. You can always set clip 53 to - rather than stop return to clip 1 so it lasts forever, with clips lapping each other - adding another dimension to the piece. If Follow actions was more sophisticated or I had time to render in Max the clips could behave more intelligently by grouping together, dropping out and changing velocity more responsively as per score instructions, but it actually works quite beautifully as is, which is a testament to the power of Riley's concept.
Thanks to Jeepee, I've kept many of his/her clips as I like how he/she played them, but am also thinking of crowdsourcing midi and audio clips from the interwebs when the Earth slows and there's enough hours in the day.

I_Speak_Bahana

Post by I_Speak_Bahana » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:20 am

Mate this is awesome thanks so much for the hard work :D

udomatthias

Post by udomatthias » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 am

hi,
could somebode send me the zip-file in c for ableton??
the linke above doesn't work.

info@udomatthias.com

thanks