New Family Member (APC40) - Electro/Progressive House Jam

Share your tracks with other users.
brucek

New Family Member (APC40) - Electro/Progressive House Jam

Post by brucek » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Hey guys. Its been a while since I posted anything. I've been trying to learn the ins and outs of my beloved new APC40. I'm attempting to incorporate its power into my music. I'm reducing any recorded automation to a minimal and recording raw. Anyways, I made a youtube video of a track I'm working on, jamming on the APC. Its very minimalistic right now, but I'm workin on it!

Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9DWe5j3UnM

tlennon

Re: New Family Member (APC40) - Electro/Progressive House Jam

Post by tlennon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:01 am

Welcome back Bruce. You made it look too easy. I truely love that break. Some of the chops were miss-timed IMO and the ending sucked. Great track though and it had me thumping. Would definitely be on the dance floor when played. Thanks for sharing again and hope to hear more from soon.
Terrence Lennon

brucek

Post by brucek » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks Terrence!

I'm glad you like the break! Me too. I love the melodic stuff. =) I really appreciate your honest words! Let me stress, this is not a completed song. This is something I made to learn the APC's abilities. Once its complete, I'll make sure to post some high quality sound links. Currently, all this is, is two synth lines with side-chained compression, and two 4 bar drum beats. Nothing technical yet.

PS, it looks easy, because it is. The APC has accelerated my producing like crazy. My end goal is to completely dismiss all automation, and 'just do it live'. The APC has made it possible. Thanks again!

abletonjim

Post by abletonjim » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:33 am

wow the break is awesome! what did u use for the synths sounds.. the white noise is tastefully done.. i like the stabby of the synths as well.. i noticed your moves on the apc40 is very specific.. were there room for error? i have the apc40 myself and to me it's like an instrument, if the timing/effects are messed up, it sounds quite obvious.

please give my track a listen too :)
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=135127
Ableton 8.1, MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, APC40, Motif XS8, Adam A7, Adam Sub8, Apogee Ensemble, PC Desktop Quad 2.4ghz, PC Laptop Duo Core 2ghz
Next: Lemur

brucek

Post by brucek » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks Jim! Glad you likey. Most of the moves I did on this video were high-pass frequency shifting of the white noise, glitching via the cross-fader, queueing up clips, mutes, solos, etc. Actually, I'll post an updated video shortly with some new flavor. Plenty of room for error. Since I'm going zero-automation, things just need to me smooth as butter with the APC.

The synths are customized patches from operator. I used an operator preset called 'Lead-Disco House' and tweaked the hell out of it. White noise was built with operator. Sparkly sounds in the break is 'MindReader', which I believe is a standard Live instrument in v8+. And a few other custom patches I can't recall right now.

I'll check your track out and comment in your thread.