your dad's oldsmobile

Share your tracks with other users.
porfiry

your dad's oldsmobile

Post by porfiry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:43 am

a midwestern white boy's illusion of soul. probably not very typical ableton music!

http://soundcloud.com/porfiry/a-foregone-roughup

whodunnit

Re: your dad's oldsmobile

Post by whodunnit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:00 am

hey porfiry,

It's a bit of a departure from some of your other stuff on soundcloud!

I listened through laptop speakers then had to go and get my headphones to listen again. I liked pretty much everything about this - the song, the performance and the production are all great. The feel of it reminds me of something from Van Morrison's Astral Weeks.

Any plans to do more like this?

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Heh...actually it's the stuff on soundcloud that's more of a departure from my last 15 years or so. I built a Eurorack system in December and have been kind of obsessed with it, after spending the better part of the year in Synth Immersion. Extreme modulation is a real springboard for new song ideas, despite the fact that I haven't even tried integrating the modular into a "song" at all. Sounds too good on its own to be trapped in a mix.

And yes, hopefully this is the first track toward a whole album with this sort of flavor...it's a road I've wanted to go down for a long time now. Thanks for the compliments.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:25 am

Hi J. Nice tune but the vox got lost in the mix and needs to be brought forward a bit. Very soulful and nice lyrics. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Terrence Lennon

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:37 am

Thanks, glad you like it. I'm always a little torn about the vocals. I kind of like them nestled in there like another instrument. The sound is always much more important to me than the message.
Last edited by porfiry on Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 am

its nice, reminds me of simon and garfunkel for some reason.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 am

Been on this electronic music stint for too long, what happened to me? :?:

Love the tunes, definitely my taste.

It actually reminds me of a band I was in called The Jerrys, we sounded sort of like Phish, The Band, Grateful Dead..

Main point, I miss playin' that type of music since I'm mostly producing electronic music now so it's got me hittin up old friends to set up some jams. got me inspired.. thanks for sharing, it's a great listen

brilburn_logue

Post by brilburn_logue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 pm

nice work man!

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:16 pm

outershpongolia wrote:Been on this electronic music stint for too long, what happened to me? :?:
Even though I've given myself an in-depth education in synths lately, I've really never recorded anything that was much like electronic music, at least not the dancey technoey genre-based stuff. Nonetheless, I have definitely been getting burnt out on the bleeps and needed to do something "straight" pretty bad.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice words. I did a little more meticulous mix of it last night and put the vocals out front a bit more...same link.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 am

my god porfiry!! you rock!!

yeah, reminds me of S&G's Homeword Bound with Van Morrison's Astral Weeks type of arrangement.

I'd also say to bring up the vox a bit, just a hair.

it's rough to judge, songs like this have a charm in their lo-fi jangliness. amazing work with the 'pad' sounds, they fit but don't scream for attention.

you can make tunes like this? screw the electronic stuff. :lol: I'll chop your fingers off if you waste time on that crap!! ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 am

Oh fuck that - then I can't turn knobs on the modular. :P

I just wish I had the dough to get the hell out of here, move to SF or some such, and try and rope a few musicians to play this kind of stuff live. I've always wanted to be Sam Cooke, basically. Without the "shot naked at a motel" part. More the "Havin' a Party" part.

Re: the Lo-Fi - two words - Dynamic Tube. Ableton's a little buggy and all right now, but wow, what a flexible tool. I've been recording stuff like this for years, but not with quite such smoothness and convincingly vintage sounds (although the 4-track was pretty good at it back in the day!). Other than the drums and acoustic guitars, everything else is synthetically Ableton, except the reverb, which is Uhbik.

Thanks for the compliments man...really pleased that it's been received so positively around here!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 am

Wow. That was great.

Hard to pick it apart or listen objectively when there is soul drippin out the speakers. I had to turn off my shit 10 dollar speakers that are on my internet PC. I turned on my DAW and took it online 8O to hear this properly when I got about half way through... I take my DAW online for updates/activations or to grab a track thats being collabed. So this is actually a huge compliment. I'm even posting on it... :mrgreen:

phenominal. don't stop.

*disabling network connections in 3...2...

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 am

Deepest thanks once again...I think this is an all-time online compliment record for me. :)

Here is a question I have for anyone who might still be listening on this thread: is there a modeling plugin or sample set somewhere that has relatively realistic sounding funky horns? That must be the hardest thing on earth to model, because I've never heard any that were worth a shit. Legato orchestral-style samples are fine for a smoove song like this, but I think the stabbier horns are just impossibly expressive...it's kind of like trying to model something that will sing your vocal tracks. Anyway, if you know of something magical, I'd be forever in your debt. Discuss.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:30 pm

Thank godness I have a Motif for horn samples with a lot of expression and the stabs are incredible. For ITB, I turn to NI Kontakt. Not the best samples but very decent.
Terrence Lennon

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Yeah, I often wish I had one of those big pro-grade keyboard DAW type'a nightmares. Alas, I took that huge wad of money I didn't have and dumped it on a Sherman and a modular instead. :)