PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY, naming tracks!

Share your tracks with other users.
SubFunk

PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY, naming tracks!

Post by SubFunk » Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 pm

guys,

the ones that provide download links to your music, please learn to name your tracks properly, with as much info as possible, at least the full track name, mix and artist name... (and cleverly a contact e-mail)

unless you are not interested that maybe the one or other good track will receive recognition under DJs or labels.

or how the hell you guys think someone who cruises for new music (and i assure you it's hundreds of headhunters out there) can get hold of any of you and remember which track belongs to who?, has been downloaded where? after listening to dozens of tracks in a week...? he? think about it!

cheers
axel

i already grabbed a few tracks around here and have no idea who the hell actually made it, respectively who to contact, for maybe remixing, releases, licensing, supplying contacts to labels, etc...
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Re: PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY, naming tracks!

Post by mikemc » Tue May 25, 2010 8:00 pm

SubFunk wrote:guys,

the ones that provide download links to your music, please learn to name your tracks properly, with as much info as possible, at least the full track name, mix and artist name... (and cleverly a contact e-mail)..
+1 This seems to me to be good advice.

You are referring to putting infor into the ID tag information in the MP3, correct?

Also, do you think having tracks being streamable only and not downloadable is a bad thing?

And which do you think is better, IDv2 or IDv3, or doesn't matter?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 pm

mikemc wrote:You are referring to putting infor into the ID tag information in the MP3, correct?
yep. or in the case of wav/aiff to name the file like trackname_artistname_email.wav (email with dots will create problems, but like blahATblahDOTcom)

Also, do you think having tracks being streamable only and not downloadable is a bad thing?
no, it doesn't matter... well downloadable has pros and cons... abuse on the one hand can happen, on the other hand some people can really play them in sets (if we speak dance stuff) and can compare better, respectively commercial interest can arise out of a 'dancefloor impact'...
also people working actively within 'hunting' for labels prefer downloads, simply because you need to 'collect' material and listen / compare stuff a few times, etc. it is much harder to collect links and go through websites then proper demo tracks in iTunes or whatever.

And which do you think is better, IDv2 or IDv3, or doesn't matter?
to be honest, i don't know, i still use v2, i think it is still more common...

point one is really important, downloadable or not... there is nothing worse then being in the situation of hearing / receiving a lot of music and you can't trace anything interesting because of poor naming... in that moment you simply loose out as an artist.

think about it.

just remember you are not the only one out there... it's thousands and thousands, make yourself 'traceable' in case one catches interest in your work!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 am

bump, for a sticky.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu May 27, 2010 1:32 pm

man, i am cruising around here again and this is sooo annoying!!!

damnit, name you work properly... i have again about 6 tracks in my download folder and don't know the hell what, who, where after a while...

grrrr. :twisted:
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu May 27, 2010 5:00 pm

I disagree, I really like the challenge of trying to identify who is associated to that fab track called untitled.mp3. It fills me with so much joy when i go through the process of having to identify who created the track. It's like a magical mystery . :mrgreen:

I jest , it is a serious pet hate of mine. If one cant be arsed to name your files correctly then I cant be arsed either. Bad naming = sloppy attitude = no one I would ever want to deal with.I am sure there has been some serious talent that has missed out because the label cant identify who the fuck composed the track. TBH I have no sympathy. Fuck em FUCK em AAAAALLLLLLLLL

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu May 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Rave wrote:If one cant be arsed to name your files correctly then I cant be arsed either. Bad naming = sloppy attitude = no one I would ever want to deal with.I am sure there has been some serious talent that has missed out because the label cant identify who the fuck composed the track. TBH I have no sympathy. Fuck em FUCK em AAAAALLLLLLLLL
absolutely, seriously they are losers and don't take it serious at all, if they are not able to learn and accept absolute basics of the business, then i agree with you a 100% FUCK 'EM ALL and even more abuse them and their tracks. (be sure i do! stuff i like and i can't get hold of the originator i abuse, re-edit play and do whatever with, there are some rules, the originator can be pinpointed, the respect and dealing with material in confidence takes place, it is that easy there is an etiquette, people!)

same with the mix CDs or mixes, gawd damn it, or are you all dyslexic???

or put it this way, your tracks are like a dog without an owner.
*** Image GAFM ***

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Great point, I never thought of that. I'm weary of putting up unlicensed/signed tracks for download 'just in case' - I hold out hope that I will be signed one day. I think I'll change some of my info now.

Thanks for the tip SB.

Never knew there were 'head hunters' out there for talent. For the most part I thought it came down to 'who you know'. Good to know!
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu May 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Mehalic wrote:Great point, I never thought of that. I'm weary of putting up unlicensed/signed tracks for download 'just in case' - I hold out hope that I will be signed one day. I think I'll change some of my info now.

Thanks for the tip SB.

Never knew there were 'head hunters' out there for talent. For the most part I thought it came down to 'who you know'. Good to know!
never underestimate the forces behind what you don't see. just be prepared :wink:
*** Image GAFM ***

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri May 28, 2010 6:44 pm

see, there is some wisdom here. stick-i-fiable wisdom i'd venture :wink: or at least another opportunity for an informative argument. :D
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Fri May 28, 2010 6:55 pm

poking the bear Mike, your poking the bear....

:lol:
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri May 28, 2010 9:42 pm

mikemc wrote:see, there is some wisdom here. stick-i-fiable wisdom i'd venture :wink: or at least another opportunity for an informative argument. :D
yeah but instead of making it a sticky, dennis seems rather busy feeding us with childish PR nonsense. :|

about how considerable the abes are... like we wouldn't know that. :|

but where is the action?
*** Image GAFM ***

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 30, 2010 2:55 pm

I also think no-streaming-only-download tracks should be avoided too... for 2 reasons :

1) I can take little time to listen to a streaming of your tracks (soundcloud, myspace, bandcamp, etither...), but I don't have that time to get to a download section, download, then find the track in my download folder, then put it in a player playlist, then click play, etc.

so if it's download only, I won't...

2) I don't know if I like your music, I don't know if I want the track in my computer... in fact, I DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD!!!!

so if it's download only, I won't...

and, for Subfunk's request, I 'm in +1000, I hate those un-tagged tracks that lie in the bottom of my HD / itunes library...

cheers

nestrellejohn

Post by nestrellejohn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:22 am

SubFunk wrote:guys,

the ones that provide download links to your music, please learn to name your tracks properly, with as much info as possible, at least the full track name, mix and artist name... (and cleverly a contact e-mail)

unless you are not interested that maybe the one or other good track will receive recognition under DJs or labels.

or how the hell you guys think someone who cruises for new music (and i assure you it's hundreds of headhunters out there) can get hold of any of you and remember which track belongs to who?, has been downloaded where? after listening to dozens of tracks in a week...? he? think about it!

cheers
axel

i already grabbed a few tracks around here and have no idea who the hell actually made it, respectively who to contact, for maybe remixing, releases, licensing, supplying contacts to labels, etc...
Good point dude. It is nice to organize all track at the very beginning so that it wont give us pain-in-ass for tracking them up. Cool.