Take two.

Share your tracks with other users.
soultwist

Take two.

Post by soultwist » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:28 pm

I come to the Ableton community once again for some constructive ctiticism! Hope you guys can help me out as I continue on my production journey.

How is it compared to the first attempt?

Also, the track stops at 3:50. Some bits at the end made it into the mix. I didn't delete it because it's still a work in progress. Just at work now, will clean it up later

http://soundcloud.com/soultwist/take-two

GrooveNinja

Re: Take two.

Post by GrooveNinja » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Cool! Nice and mellow. I like it, especially the funky guitar.

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Hey Alex. The bassline overpowers the kick which is very thin sounding. See if you can layer the kick with another sample that has more bottom end and use a compressor to duck the bass when the kick hits. And what happen to the ending? A long silence then another outtro. Very nice and mellow track dude and I agree what Groove said about the funky guitar. Thanks for the share.
Terrence Lennon

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 am

Thanks for the comments and advice! That's a nice little trick that I forgot about with compression. Will do that. And fatten up the kick.

Thanks!

kamih

Post by kamih » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:31 am

Cool track!
I agree with Terrence, the bass needs more OOMPH!
Also for the guitar part, here's what I would do:
1) record a 2nd take.
2) apply the Haas trick to each take, this usually works pretty well for rythm guitars.
(to do this, use a filter delay, turn off center and put dry output to 0%, then turn off sync so you can put L: 1ms, R: ~25ms (something like that, under 30ms).
Then do the same thing for the other take but have R: 1ms, L: ~20ms instead)
3) maybe also add some compression to each take.

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:56 am

kamih wrote:Cool track!
I agree with Terrence, the bass needs more OOMPH!
Also for the guitar part, here's what I would do:
1) record a 2nd take.
2) apply the Haas trick to each take, this usually works pretty well for rythm guitars.
(to do this, use a filter delay, turn off center and put dry output to 0%, then turn off sync so you can put L: 1ms, R: ~25ms (something like that, under 30ms).
Then do the same thing for the other take but have R: 1ms, L: ~20ms instead)
3) maybe also add some compression to each take.
Thanks for that! I actually tried this trick with the first track on soundcloud but this is slightly different and a lot better (makes more sense). So I'll go back to that track and do it the way you described. 8)

som

Post by som » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:05 am

Increase the kick volume and boost the kick frequencies around 2,5 khr. I don't think that sidechaining / ducking the bass will suite this type of music.

One other thing: Too my ears it sounds like there is a "wrong" note in the first bass line. Sounds a little bit disharmonic.
http://www.soundcloud.com/s_o_m

I have written a book (Sci-Fi Thriller, only German): https://der-kristall.de