Jackal Dance - MesKaL (looking for strongs criticism)

Share your tracks with other users.
MaskeL

Jackal Dance - MesKaL (looking for strongs criticism)

Post by MaskeL » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for listening. I'm just learning so I need some help with criticism.

Jackal Dance - MesKaL

Thanks,

MesKaL

tlennon

Re: Jackal Dance - MesKaL (looking for strongs criticism)

Post by tlennon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:48 pm

Welcome Jeff. Music is like art. No one can tell you how or what to create. Only what they would do different. I instantly hear quite a few applications for this track and it mainly depends on your target audience and/or genre. The best advice that will help your mixes are of a technical nature. Track too loud, mix doesn't gel, over compressed, boomy, sibelant, and the like. IMO, you did quite well with this and I will offer that I enjoyed listening to it. Continue being creative and inspired. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by tlennon on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrence Lennon

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:54 pm

It could be my speakers, but I want to hear more out of that kick. Maybe double it w/ a sub or dirty it up w/ some overdrive. It needs something and is really the only thing that I would change about the track. Ok, I lied, I would probably also change where the beats are located for the kick as well. Something about them makes it feel stiff and machine like while the rest of the song is more fluid.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:07 pm

I kind of agree with Aceluby, the kick could be a whole lot bigger and far dirtier. Also, the high hats are pushed way too far back in the mix, they're actually what's driving the song along, so i'd make them more prominent as well as wanting to give them a more humanised, dynamic feel, played mostly on half open hi hats instead of closed ones.

MaskeL

Post by MaskeL » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:35 am

Awesome! I appreciate your input sooooo much. First forum I can actually get some feedback from. I will work on the drum track. It was actually a wave file I recorded of some chopped and effect saturated drums I made a long time ago. Maybe it's the drums that have me handcuffed right now. I've listened to it so much I couldn't figure out what was not to my liking. Reworking the drums might freshen' it up.

- Does the arrangement sound ok?
- Am I lacking anything?
- Do I have any poor buildups or ones that don't deliver?

Thanks again everyone.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:36 pm

MaskeL wrote:Awesome! I appreciate your input sooooo much. First forum I can actually get some feedback from. I will work on the drum track. It was actually a wave file I recorded of some chopped and effect saturated drums I made a long time ago. Maybe it's the drums that have me handcuffed right now. I've listened to it so much I couldn't figure out what was not to my liking. Reworking the drums might freshen' it up.

- Does the arrangement sound ok?
- Am I lacking anything?
- Do I have any poor buildups or ones that don't deliver?

Thanks again everyone.
I really enjoyed the arrangement overall. I think working on the drums would be a good start. Something thick, yet fluid.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

MaskeL

Post by MaskeL » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:48 am

Ok. I was worried about arrangement but I will focus more on the drums.